Premed 101 Forums

Don't feed the trolls :)

Guest uteng

Guest uteng

Sadly, feeding the trolls is a mistake I keep making, but I'll try to stop.

It seems like some trolls are feeling threatened by the attention another troll is getting and they're competing.

As someone pointed out, there's no point trying to rationalize with a troll or replying to the person making disruptive or rude remarks. They need attention and are just looking for responses. If there are no responses to them, they might just get bored and have to find another way to entertain themselves.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to happen often, I didn't even know what a troll was until a couple days ago.

Guest physiology

Agreed.

It's tough - I know, but just ignore them (UWOmalestudent and Linkinpark). Don't insult them back - the most heartbreaking thing for them is when they log back in, and the number of replies to their posts is a big ZERO.

Guest stepstofollow

Here here.

I am always surprised how often people bite.

When these two respond again, just ignore -- no matter what sort of topic they post.

Guest PanjabiMD
LOL. I`m sure it`s one person, not two.

I sort of think that too. Or maybe they are working together to form some sort of 'super troll' I mean, every time one of them says something, the other quickly chimes in. It is quite sad that they have nothing better to do. UWOmalestudent went from being somewhat modest to becoming what he is now. I find that quite strange. Anyways...just thought I'd give my input.

PMD

-DON'T FEED THE TROLLS-

Guest Arcados

Any way one of the mods can place a temporary ban on them?

I realize this is a community open to all, but not only are they (or him/her) not contributing, they are a detriment to the board.

Guest wattyjl

problem is they can easily make new names (i also think it's one guy, with at least 3 or 4 log-in's; i also think they have little-to-no interest in actually going into med). the only way to extinguish them is to:

a) never reply to their posts no matter how inflammatory they are

B) any time the mod's see a post by one of them, edit it to contain nothing. or, since they have the power to move and i assume remove entire threads, when they start a thread, remove it. that would be a lot of work for the moderators though so a) is probably the best we can do.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes, the problem with banning trolls are:

a) they often come back anyway with a new name

B) if you ban the IP address there's a chance they're posting from a public terminal and then you ban that terminal (ie banning the entire U of T library system!)

c) sometimes banning them just feeds their ego

Better to ignore, but banning is an option.

Guest UWOmalestudent

I am insulted that you call me a troll.

I assure you, all my posts are to increase the learning and knowledge of all my fellow pre-medical colleagues.

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't like troll, eh?

I can think of some other things to call 'em. . . :rollin

But really, Linkinpark/UWOmalestudent/cod/whatever is best ignored. (apologies for this feeding session)

Guest CalicoKal

is there any way that some of the very combative and offensive threads they/he/she have started can be deleted? While it may feed into their/his/her/its ego, I worry that someone who has never been to the site before will come read it and get the wrong idea about the culture and environment of this board...

Guest UWOmalestudent

OH NO.

UWOMED2005 is coming after me.

I am shaking in my gay boots.

UWOMED2005, are you Chinese or Indian?

If so, gtfo of my country and go back and pick rice.

You don't belong here.

Guest s sadry

its kind of disappointing.

i really found these forums useful initially...now these "trolls" make these threads lose all accountability, especially when their comments influence younger students who may take their words very seriously.

comments like "this country doesnt' need more immigrant doctors" etc....that isn't even worth responding to. i completely agree. stop feeding the trolls..they are feeding themselves right now, and even then, that will grow tiresome for them at some point.

Guest UWOMED2005

lol :lol

I'm about as white as white bread. . . the only thing non-european in me is a bit of South African. White South African.

The funny thing is even with my United Empire Loyalist and French Canadian Background, I can't really claim to be "native" to Canada as even those family roots date back only to the 1600s and 1700s.

It won't be that long before the descendents of those East Asian and East Indian have roots as far as mine. In reality, some of them already have roots more established than some of my ancestors who came to Canada in the 19th and 20th centuries! Personally, I've always considered my Swedish and German roots as Canadian as my English, Scot and French - that's just the way Canada is. But one time bigots might have answered differently (there is a reason the spelling of my last name was changed!)

We're all relative newcomers to Canada. Unless you're Native Canadian.* I'm not going to ask if you're first nations - for risk of offending our native peoples!

I know not to feed the trolls but sometimes it's such fun!

Guest mephistopheles0003

you might think you're being funny but what you're doing is jeopardizing your future.

you are not in medical school and some of us, who are in medical school, know who you are. be careful, little sapling.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I'd love to see UWOMalestudent and UWOMED2005 go one on one on the lawn outside of University College- I'll bet any money that UWOMED2005 doesn't come out of that second best!

Timmy

Guest Arcados

^

Instead, I'd like to see that arranged, and instead of a fight coming to meet him, hundreds of cameras capture his picture and ban him from medical schools in Canada. :)

Bit much? Maybe. But it would be funny.

Guest TimmyMax

Yeah, that would be funny, Arcados- UWOfemalestudent gets f*cked up AND banned from all the medical schools from Canada- I'd definitely tune in for that one! :lol

Archived