Premed 101 Forums

Don't feed the trolls :)

Guest uteng

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ I would then sue for prejudice/discrimination for imposing your views on me. Medical schools cannot deny admissions based on rumors. Oh and you suck at life

Guest kaymcee

I'm still trying to understand what part of "DON'T FEED THE TROLL" people are having difficulty comprehending.

Stop responding to his comments.

Every thread that he starts should have "0" in the "Replies" field.

Any post by him in any thread should be ignored.

If, for some reason beyond me, you feel compelled to respond, keep it in a thread that has already been created rather than allowing this pestilence to spread.

Guest UWOMED2005
I'd love to see UWOMalestudent and UWOMED2005 go one on one on the lawn outside of University College- I'll bet any money that UWOMED2005 doesn't come out of that second best!

lol Timmymax. While I don't condone such a scenario (like I'd waste that kind of time and energy on some yahoo posting on the internet :lol ) I love the support!

Guest leviathan

Yes, the problem with banning trolls are:

a) they often come back anyway with a new name

B) if you ban the IP address there's a chance they're posting from a public terminal and then you ban that terminal (ie banning the entire U of T library system!)

c) sometimes banning them just feeds their ego

Better to ignore, but banning is an option.

Hey UWOMED2005,

You can always resolve the IP to a hostname, and if it's a name like *.utoronto.ca, then obviously don't ban it..but if it's a DSL, cable, or other hostname, you know they're posting from home and can can their ass.

Guest Avi44

UWOMed2005, if you're a mod/admin on the board, you can ban their ip(s).

To check whether they're using a residential internet connection or public line, just enter their ip into the whois box located at: www.arin.net/whois/ . As leviathan said, if it shows up to be a residential connection (rogers/bell/cogeco etc...) ban their ass.

Guest marbledust
You can always resolve the IP to a hostname, and if it's a name like *.utoronto.ca, then obviously don't ban it..but if it's a DSL, cable, or other hostname, you know they're posting from home and can can their ass.

The only problem with that is some ISPs use a single IP address for a given geographical area. AOL is the most notorious for this, but other companies do it as well. The result is everybody from that area is banned.

Guest physiology
^ I would then sue for prejudice/discrimination for imposing your views on me. Medical schools cannot deny admissions based on rumors. Oh and you suck at life

I think UWOMed2005 had a great post about a year ago about the different types of trolls.

It's kinda sad when one individual (not to be named...), logs in time and time again, only to waste internet space, and more importantly my time, in creating pointless posts.

The weather is great (all over Canada) - someone needs to get outside more.

Guest UWOMED2005

Guys - all I can say is that this problem will be resolved shortly.

It's only been a problem for the last 48 hrs. It WILL be resolved. :)

Guest wattyjl

yea, no kidding, it's basically been, a weekend. it's amazing how the 'immediateness' of the internet changes perception of time, and for me too.

i guess now i just expect everything to happen instantly.

glad to know the 'issue' is being dealt with.

Guest marbledust
yea, no kidding, it's basically been, a weekend. it's amazing how the 'immediateness' of the internet changes perception of time, and for me too.

i guess now i just expect everything to happen instantly.

Interesting you would say that...

I was just reading an article in a business magazine this weekend about how the internet has caused society to expect and to want things to be done quicker, and the negative consequences this has on a whole range of things.

Another evil of the internet age....lol

Guest joonboy
I sort of think that too. Or maybe they are working together to form some sort of 'super troll'

Ha ha~. super troll-really funny:lol

the most heartbreaking thing for them is when they log back in, and the number of replies to their posts is a big ZERO.

I agree.

Guest brownthug

i removed this message because it was inappropriate.

however, the offer is still on the table for the trolls =)

Apologies to those who were offended by my eloquent yet vulgar message.

Cheers

Guest iownhonda

lol, brown thug, No need to apologize as it was heart-touching. Your message was like a poetry, just like the tupac's lyrics

:)

Guest UWOMED2005

Ok, let's stop responding to these threads. . .

littlebrownthug - that post was inappropriate (a little extreme) but understandable considering some of the @#%$ we saw posted here this past weekend. And the fact you recognized it and changed your posts shows character.

It is interesting to note one handle has gone and deleted all his/her posts. If (s)he'd delete the other posts with a different handle, then maybe we could put this incident behind us. . .

Archived