Premed 101 Forums

END

Guest linkinpark

Guest FungManX

you can't expect doctors to be lifeless nerds that just sit around and study all day long...

I think a good pre-med should have more friends and be active (maybe even leading) in more clubs than the average student.

Vince. 8o

Guest avarrin2001

As long as you arent one of those neurotic premeds that drive us all nuts (especially those of us who are TAs and constantly have you asking for marks...) I dont see why you wouldnt have friends? If you dont, I'm not so sure you are really cut out for a demeand and people oriented profession like med.

Guest Madz25

premeds are like any other students in any field of study (sciences, history, literature etc). it just so happens that they'd like to go into med after undergrad/grad, hence pre-med. why would pre-meds be different than other students? granted they like to keep their grades up but so do other students that don't want to go to med school. a pre-med's life is just like the life of any other student.

Guest UWOMED2005
Except that they take the MCAT!

Unless they're planning 100% to go to either U of O or Mac, or study medicine abroad. ;)

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the whole 'premed' concept. There is NO premed course in Canada, though Human Biology @ U of T and Life Science at Queens try to fill this niche. To me, 'premeds' are just regular university students who happen to be thinking about studying medicine after they're done undergrad. We don't call someone studying Classics with the idea of doing their PhD in Classics "pre-PhD-in-classics" or someone studying engineering a "preengineer" - why should we call someone studying human biology (or English but thinking of meds for that matter!) a "premed"?

A group of UWO undergrads have printed premed t-shirts that they wear around campus. I don't mean to offend the UWO premeds (I'm sure some of you check this board,) but I have to admit some of us UWO med students* find those shirts kind of amusing. The degrees you're studying can be used for many different career paths, and to specifically label yourself as "premed" seems to presume you're going to get into meds! Hopefully you will, but that is a pretty big presumpton!

You can DEFINITELY carry out a moderate and normal social and university life and study medicine afterwards. I played 4 years of varsity rugby, coordinated frosh week, and I can't remember missing a single friend's birthday in undergrad. I made it into meds no problem. In fact, part of the admissions process is designed to try to ensure meds applicants carried out normal lives, and that there marks weren't inflated because they did nothing other than study while in undergrad.

* I need to point out this isn't the position of all UWO med students btw, but I have heard it voiced by some of my classmates.

I am in the process of interviewing at Canadian medical schools right now..I have had 4 interviews so far and have talked to many other students being interviewed. Now these are just my impressions/personal opinions but... I have noticed that most of the people at the interviews I have talked to aren't the typical "Pre-meds" you encounter in your undergraduate courses. They aren't the people who worry about every last mark and demonstrate how stressed out they are to the rest of their class mates. Most don't have an infinite number of volunteer activities like some students who see themselves destined for medicine, but rather they have a been part of a few activities that are meaningful to them. Most were never part of the "Pre-Med" club, most didn't do MCAT prep courses (I was told this by a med student too). I would definitely think all the people making it to the interview stage had lives outside of being a "Pre-Med", if they didn't I wouldn't want them for a doctor and I don't think they would be good candidates. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but is just a general impression. Just something to think about as you are going along in your pre-med years.

Guest UWOMED2005
They aren't the people who worry about every last mark and demonstrate how stressed out they are to the rest of their class mates.

oh, don't worry. . . you get the people who worry about every mark in medical school as well! :lol Even when it's pass/fail, historically only 1 or 2 people fail the exam, and the person in question has finished in the top 10-20% of the class on every prior exam. . !

You also get people not like that at all. You really get all types of people - I was somewhat surprised sept of 2001 to find there very much wasn't one 'type' of person the schools were looking for.

But you're right - most people in medical school did have lives outiside of undergrad classes.

Guest joonboy
I played 4 years of varsity rugby

UWOMED2005- How did you play varsity sport team AND get good grades? I asked one of the undergraduate recruitment officers if playing on varsity sport team would require lots of committment+time and she said yes. Team players have to travel 3 to 4 hours to other schools for games. It just seems impossible to concentrate on studying. I was actually thinking of playing varsity rugby before but I gave up on the idea. Did you really have to spend LOTS of time for varsity rugby? How did you manage your time?

*And what did you study for your undergraduate degree?

A group of UWO undergrads have printed premed t-shirts that they wear around campus.

And yeah, I think those guys are just really dumb:b

Guest UWOMED2005

Playing a varsity* sport and getting good grades is not difficulut if you practice time management. One trick was studying on the bus on road trips. Another was the fact I almost never watched TV in undergrad (other than the Simpsons). . . it's a real time waster.

But I must admit, I also benefitted from the fact rugby season ended in early November - before first term exams. But there are classmates of mine who played year-long varsity sports (ie volleyball) in undergrad and did fine. In fact, I've had two classmates play varsity sports in medical school - (volleyball, rugby) and I knew two guys in 2004 who did the same (volleyball X2)

As well, I'd like to point out the average GPA of the athletes at my university* was 3.70! That's at or above many med school cutoffs. I have to admit our claim to fame was having the highest athletic GPA in the country, but I think this illustrates my point.

Playing varsity sports and getting good grades takes good time management and dedication. . . but certainly isn't impossible.

And yeah, I think those guys are just really dumb

I wouldn't call them dumb. That's not what I was saying at all. Just really enthusiastic. . . I'm not criticizing them so much as saying from a med student point of view, when you know people's career plans change and you can't guarantee 'premed' becomes med, the caling one's self 'premed' and making shirts to advertise the fact is somewhat amusing!

* Actually, technically rugby was not varsity sport as it was not regulated by the CIAU. But there is no higher level of rugby at university, and with daily 2 hr practices and numerous road trips, the time committment wasn't that far off from varsity football.

* Once again, technically the school teams at my university (pop 800) were not 'varsity' as they participated in a smaller university and college (ie Mount St. Vincent University, Nova Scotia Agricultural College, Daltech, University College of Cape Breton, etc) league. But in general, the time commitment was similar.

Ironically - the only team that competed with the bigger schools (Dalhousie, SMU, Mt. A, St. FX) was the rugby team. . . but as I mentioned previously, that was not a CIAU varsity sport while I was there.

Archived