Premed 101 Forums

To retake or not to retake?

Yeah, see that's the thing, my ECs can definitely be improved, but if i can improve that and get in then i think that's the route I'm going to take. I just really don't want to write again! This summer was painful, i gave up a bachelor party for god sake! The score will be good for another 3 applying cycles (4 including this one). So that's plenty of time! lol! Anywhoo, thanks for the input, just wanted to see where i was at.

Deav

Hey guys, I'm a Manitoba resident and I got a 30P on the MCAT. I was just wondering whether you would retake with this score or not? U of M is the only school I'm applying to this year.

Then it's too late to apply to UM with a different score. If you don't get in, rewrite next year, if you're hell-bent on going to hell and back again. I'd say that for in-prov applicants, a composite score of 10 is reasonably good.

What are your GPA and extracurriculars like?

- Ninjzz -

My GPA is probably around 4.0. My extracurriculars aren't the greatest. I think the decision I've come down to is that if i don't get in this year, then ill just apply with the same score until i do get in, because eventually i will get in, i may just have to boost my extracurriculars for the time being.

I'd say work on your interview skills. Join toastmasters or something, to work on public speaking skills if you're lacking in that area. Extracurrics are great to have, but it's hard to seperate yourself from every other med applicant. On the other hand, being able to have a well thought out answer to the random questions that interviewers throw at you is terribly important, and will probably get you further than working at the children's museum, for example. Just do **** that you think will be fun. several people from my class got in with not-so-great extracurrics, and I tend to think that its cause they are good interviewers (along with being brilliant, but that's a whole other matter).

As far as I know, its an established organization that tries to improve one's public speaking skills. I know that the UofM has one, but I forget what its called. If I recall correctly, they have meetings on Wednesdays, and you can probably see their advertisements around campus. It's sort of like a debate club, I would presume. Obviously, I myself have not taken it, but I probably would have if I hadn't gotten in this year. It's well regarded and many famous orators have taken the course and credit it with helping them to advance in their respective careers.

Here's my 2 cents,

A composite score of 10 is solid assuming you aren't lacking in any other area. Apply with it and see how you do and if you don't get in it's not the end of the world but take a look where you stand and if you think you need to rewrite it and you are willing to do it again, then do it. No harm is done, and you probably can only go up, so good luck and all the best.

Archived