Premed 101 Forums

Anyone know where I can shadow a surgeon?

nope not in school.. just trying to make 100% sure i want to be in the medical field, before i take the step .

Hi again,

You could try to contact individual surgeons to see if they might be willing to have you shadow in some of their clinics. (A pre-med OR stint might be tough to pull off given the liabilities and some hyper-vigilant staff involved.)

Also, don't forget that surgery is just one career subtype among many within medicine. You might want to keep your mind open to other types of medicine as well when judging the field as a whole.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Yeah, since you aren't in Medical school, you will have a lot more hoops to jump through. In other words, for medical students, they have insurance through the school, and in the hospitals that they would likely do the observerships, they have implied consent by the patient, due to the teaching hospital nature. These are things that you will have to work through before shadowing someone if you aren't already in. But as was stated, if you contact a surgeon, they may be able to help you out with that.

Has anybody shadowed a physician(any type) as an undergradute student? I am aware that if you have a relative that is a doctor shadowing is easier. Please tell me your experiences!

Hi there,

I managed to do some shadowing pre-medicine, but it was via my connections to the docs at Planned Parenthood. I also had the opportunity to observe in the OR, pre-medicine, but this was with a surgeon with whom I was doing a good bit of research. In short, connections seem to be a nice type of oil for getting shadowing going, if you're not yet in medical school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

I managed to do some shadowing pre-medicine, but it was via my connections to the docs at Planned Parenthood. I also had the opportunity to observe in the OR, pre-medicine, but this was with a surgeon with whom I was doing a good bit of research. In short, connections seem to be a nice type of oil for getting shadowing going, if you're not yet in medical school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Connections are everything! Thanks Kirsteen:)

• 1 month later...

Waaaaay back in highschool, my Co-Op placement (really, a position as a volunteer) was at a Pathology Department in a hosptial at downtown TO.

Pathology Department is an excellent place to make connections because all the physicians come down to Pathology, including surgeons, ICU docs and pediatricians, either to check out the specimens they've taken out or to talk to pathologists about post-mortum findings.

As a result, I got to know a lot of people and saw surgeries and many other things.

I guess volunteering at a hosptial and start branching out from your placement won't be a bad idea. I also very much recommand pathology. Although it soudns very boring and have minimal patient interaction, one does get to see other sides of clinical medicine which patients don't usually see (frozen section, for example), and get to know different types of physicians on an individual basis.

Best of luck!

Archived