Premed 101 Forums

Choosing References

paulchemguy

Hello everyone,

I remember reading somewhere on the website that they require at least 1 academic reference, but preferably 2. Now, does it matter alot if I only use 1 academic and 2 other reference commenting on my extracurriculars? For most other schools that want 3 letters, I do 1 academic and 2 non-acdemic. Would anyone please advice me on this? Does it put me in a disadvantage if I only have 1 academic reference?

Many thanks!

I think the committee's are interested in references that can reflect varied sides of the applicant. I tend to choose references from each of my academic, professional and clinical experiences. You may also want to include a reference who is merely a character witness (e.g. from EC's).

• 2 weeks later...

I had 0 academic references and got in. My three references were past and present employers; two in health care and one in community service.

I think your GPA and MCAT can speak for themselves, you don't need professors saying how smart you are. However, make sure that the people you choose know you better than your profs do (mine all did, I'd known them well for 3, 6, and 8 years). And, of course, the universal caveat; double-check with Admissions that this is OK to do. Marlene Christian was especially helpful to me (is she still there?).

Archived