Premed 101 Forums

What kind of EC's are they looking for?

Are they necessarily looking for EC's relating to health, or humanitarian efforts? I have a wide range of clubs at my school and such that peak my interest, I just want to make sure none of my efforts go to waste..

as well, volunterring and researching, should those relate to health/science?

Are they necessarily looking for EC's relating to health, or humanitarian efforts? I have a wide range of clubs at my school and such that peak my interest, I just want to make sure none of my efforts go to waste..

Some schools such as Dalhousie recommend some 'health related' extra-curriculars. Many on this forum would agree to say, just do what you think you would enjoy. The main thing is to keep a balance between academics and these ec's. Grades are more important at the time of receiving an interview. Research is not mandatory and can be within any area of interest. A prior poster had assisted a professor in research where they were studying child psychology.

So just do what "peaks" your interests and have fun!:)

Hi there,

The greater your interest in a given activity then the greater your chances of learning more and doing more for that organization. These are another couple of reasons to choose something you enjoy over something that you think will impress.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

It's very easy for people to say do what is interesting to you, but it is extremely valuable. If you do something of interest to you, medicine won't need to act as a constant reminder that you have to do this, but instead, you'll be inclined using your own will to put lots of effort into it.

It's very easy for people to say do what is interesting to you, but it is extremely valuable. If you do something of interest to you, medicine won't need to act as a constant reminder that you have to do this, but instead, you'll be inclined using your own will to put lots of effort into it.

I totally agree.

I have a wide range of clubs at my school and such that peak my interest, I just want to make sure none of my efforts go to waste..

Because ... if you do something that you enjoy and it doesn't help you get into med school then it's a waste?

You need to be able to provide good answers to questions along the lines of "Why do you want to be a doctor?" and "How do you know medicine is the right career for you?". Beyond that, do what you want, and don't worry so much about doing exactly what they want to see!

There are lessons to be learned and experience gained from any kind of activity!

But this is what I suggest:

- Starting up an international health advocacy organization

- If that sounds like too much work, spend a year in a foreign country learning and becoming fluent in their language (American, British, and Australian don't count)

- Start up a random cancer/AIDS/disease-X "awareness association" on campus and make yourself president. Of course, the club won't do anything except fundraise and hold maybe one seminar a year.

- Become president of an official-sounding student union like "Medical Sciences Student Union" or "X-Campus Life Sciences Student Union". What the club actually does can be a mystery.

- Tutor the Dean of Medicine's daughter

- Donate a kidney

** PS: this is meant to poke fun, but actually the first and last points are the only ones I made up!

There are lessons to be learned and experience gained from any kind of activity!

- If that sounds like too much work, spend a year in a foreign country learning and becoming fluent in their language (American, British, and Australian don't count)

- Start up a random cancer/AIDS/disease-X "awareness association" on campus and make yourself president. Of course, the club won't do anything except fundraise and hold maybe one seminar a year.

- Become president of an official-sounding student union like "Medical Sciences Student Union" or "X-Campus Life Sciences Student Union". What the club actually does can be a mystery.

- Donate a kidney

** PS: this is meant to poke fun, but actually the first and last points are the only ones I made up!

Hahah... and by Tutor, you mean previously date?

Comedy GOLD

- Donate a kidney

The fact that I've actually thought of attempting some of these things helps confirm how much of a pre-med wannabe I am :o

Hi jpaek,

I know everyone says do what interests you and I agree, but you're probably thinking, "But lots of things interest me, so how do I choose?" There are probably a wide range of clubs that sound good, but not all of them will fit with you. I would suggest going to meetings for a bunch of them without any real committment yet. Just get a feel for the types of things they actually do (as opposed to what a catchy name they have), what kinds of people are there (will you have fun?), and of course, does it fit your schedule (it's useless to try to be a part of a club that has meetings every Tuesdays from 11-1 when you have class). Then, you can choose what works best for you.

The original effort of trying a bunch of things will be worth it if you are planning to spend a year or even a few years with that group (I'm assuming you're early on in your undergrad career).

Good luck!

Archived