Premed 101 Forums

about research and publications?

w...b

im currently volunteering in a research lab at a hospital, with the intent of being paid during the summer.

i was wondering how others on this board got published. like is it by working in a lab with a prof. or conducting your own research.

from what i understand, if you put enough time and effort into a research project under a prof. they would tend to add your name into the publication or acknowledgments section. would this be considered a publication?

thanks

w...b

You'll definitely get your name if you were the one doing all the lab work. Basically for my first (of many hopefully) publication, my prof came up with the project for me to do. I did all the work, but he offered guidance along the way. This is pretty much how it works everywhere. Sometimes you work under the direction of a grad student or a post doc.

If your name is in the acknowledgements, it isn't your publication. If you are listed as an author, then obviously you can say you wrote a paper.

Hi there,

There are a number of journals (generally the bigger-name ones) which offer a list of criteria for authors, i.e., a person's name should appear within the list of authors only if they satisfy these criteria. If you're interested in finding out about these criteria, check out the "Information for Authors" sections commonly found within the larger journals' websites. (I believe that the BMJ is one journal which stipulates these criteria.) This will provide you with a good guideline as to what is required to see your name appear on a paper (all other collaborators' personalities, and senses of judgement, etc., being equal).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived