Premed 101 Forums

Petitioning Marks?

Guest active2010

Guest active2010

I Got one of my marks back..and i'm devastated

its a B+

Is there any way to petition this? I have had good midterm marks and an almost flawless lab record, but I was sick on the day of the exam, and nevertheless decided to write it.

thanks

Guest Ollie

dude, relax, there's nothing wrong with a B+. But if it's really that big of a deal to you, you'll need to look into your school's specific policy.

Guest ezaholic

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your scholarship. However, if one B+ is your lowest mark, you still have an excellent shot at getting into medical school. Take a look at the other messages on the different boards. You will find that many many current medical students had Bs and even Cs...I don't remember reading of any that had Ds, but I am sure there are some - especially in those schools that value only your last two years, or that let you drop your worst marks.

All the best!

ez

Guest active2010

the petition fell through....

I needed teh scholarship for income...DAMN IT

does anyone know how to calculate omsas gpa? I calculted mine yesterday night and got a 2.33

Guest purplefairy13

You're not screwed...3.7 is not bad, and I think the cutoff for Mac is a 3.0 (and mac is good!!!). So keep trying!

Guest medeng

First of all CHILL!!! A 3.7 is not that bad, it will probably get you in to some schools, plus don't forget about the weighting formulas, for ex. Queen's takes your 2 best years, UofT lets you drop some courses, etc. These can provide a pretty big boost to your GPA depending on your exact mark distribution.

Secondly, remember that most schools are looking for more than just marks, a good ABS will go a long way!

Guest active2010

thanks for the message medeng..

only some schools..not all :(

BOHOOOO...I 'm thinking of either dropping out of uni ...

for those who think i am joking, i am not.

i am dead serious...

a 3.6 gpa is bad enuf..

Guest AH800

I really hope you're not serious about dropping out of uni over a B+. If you are serious I would suggest you seek a bit of counseling to get yourself calmed down and get your head on straight. A B+ is NOT a bad grade! And dropping out of uni will leave you better off than getting a degree i'm sure:rolleyes

With that attitude you definately wouldn't have the ability to survive med school. Dropping out of university with a 3.70 GPA that hasn't even been adjusted to the specific med school standards yet is nothing but immature thinking.

Guest purplefairy13

Ok, so here are your options

drop out of university: 0% chance of medicine

stay in and get 1 interview: 25% chance of medicine

Which do you prefer?

Guest Procuitto

Maybe it's better that you just finish your degree, take a year off and travel to a developing country or something. Right now you are DEFINITELY not thinking rationally or maturally. Certainly someone with this outlook is not ready for medicine. And I'm not preaching to you my friend, I have been there. Now I've done grad school and volunteered for 3 months (in a poverty-stricken environment) in Guatemala. I'm much more mature and grateful for what I have now. And I didn't get in to my first year med school this year. But you know what? I could be in dying of AIDS in the hospice I work at or even still, I could be living in a country like Guatemala where my best chance at a career might be working a local grocery store.

I don't know you, this is true. But chances are if you are freaking out like this, you have some maturing to do and some life experience to gain before you do medicine anyway.

I hope you see these comments as more encouraging than discouraging or putting you down. But dude, FAR worse things are going to happen to you in life than a 3.7 gpa. If you can't deal with this, how can you deal with these things that are even more significant and profound in the impact they will have on your life. Think of dealing with this situation in a rational, positive and proactive manner as practice for the real things to come.

Now get on with it!

Proscuitto

Guest baloobizoo

At the risk of sounding ignorant...what exactly is a troll? (I am familiar with the trolls in fairy tales but I'm not sure how that applies here.) Thanks.

Guest wattyjl

when in doubt, check wikipedia... and from that definitive source:

"In the context of Internet discussions, a troll refers to a person who makes inflammatory or hostile comments, which by effect or design cause disruptions in discourse. Such individuals may have a sociological disorder, which is expressed through the Internet platform, or may simply be mischievous —using the percieved anonymity of the Internet as a platform to test an alternate persona."

for more, click here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UWOmalestudent

Excuse me guys, sorry to steal this man's topic.

However, if anyone understand the OMSAS GPA can you help me?

I recently received my first year marks from UWO which are

Bio - 94 [full course]

Chem - 95 [full course]

Physics - 94 [full course]

Calculus I - 97 [half course]

Calculus II - 100 [half course]

Psychology - 87 :( [full course]

I really don't understand by what someone said by 'averaging these and multiplying the half courses by 1 and the full courses by 2.

If someone could help me in calculating my omsas GPA I would be greatful!

Thanks guys.

Archived