Premed 101 Forums

commuting to school

Guest WG Pre med

Guest WG Pre med

Hi,

Is it possible to commute to a university, still get good grades, and have a life outside of it? I'm taking 5 courses in UBC Kines next year and just realised that i don't ahve the money to live there. I've had to give up on playing a varsity sport. Will AdComs take that into consideration? Will just voluteering and playing rec soccer be enough?

Thanks for you time.

Guest Jochi1543

I have to say I commute for 15 hours total a week now and it makes it very hard to have a life outside of school, even though right now I do not volunteer or work. I'm always commuting during the rush hour, and during a Japanese rush hour it's so crowded, you can't even move your limbs, so doing homework on the train/bus is out of question. I find that my life revolves around going to class, going to the gym (a 30 minute commute from campus, and an hour commute from home), commuting, eating, and doing homework.|I

Of course, if your commute is less than that and all your activities are very close either to school or home, you may have an easier time.

Guest aktpkb

It is possible to commute to school and still do well. Just use your commuting time to study instead of looking at the ads on subways/buses.

Guest 4shattered4

I highly agree. I studied a bit on the subway during the beginning of the year, but nothing went into my brain after a 9 hour day of classes/labs. Sleeping always made me feel much better and refreshed =)

Guest Future MSFer

I have to comute as well but I have some friendswho live on campus were I can crash if I really have lots of studying to do. It also helps that they are in the same class. Mabe you can do the same. It saves lots of time. Otherwise I just sleep on the bus cause I get car sick :x

Archived