Premed 101 Forums

File Completion

I am relieved, I was anticipating that there would be some hoopla because of my name change.

Now I am just wondering what they do to determine who gets interviews (maritime applicants) since they are shortlisting this year. Is it a complete file review? second set of cut offs? Anyone hear anything?

I also received my notice.

I am relieved, I was anticipating that there would be some hoopla because of my name change.

Now I am just wondering what they do to determine who gets interviews (maritime applicants) since they are shortlisting this year. Is it a complete file review? second set of cut offs? Anyone hear anything?

I would imagine that it's a quick marks or MCAT cutoff, or some combination of the two, since that's the fastest way to cut a list down.

As per the Dal admissions site:

"Applicants with a reasonable chance of admission are invited for an interview".

I believe what they are saying is because there has been a significant increase in the number of applicants, there has been a corresponding increase in the quality of the applicant pool. As such, some folks might meet the cut-offs, but from the get-go won't have a reasonable chance at admission because the rest of their application is not up-to-snuff with the increasingly competitive applicant pool. Thus, why not let those people know earlier, as opposed to having them put their life on hold for 6 more months when, even with a stellar interview, they wouldn't have had a reasonable chance given that year's applicant pool? It saves these applicants the time, stress, hassle and money it takes to participate in the interviews, as well as cutting down on the number of complete files the committee has to review.

It also makes sense to me that Dal wouldn't simply increase cut-offs to pare down the applicant pool. Dal has come across to me, both in my own cycle as an applicant and now as a student, as a school that truly values well-rounded applicants.

Anyway...that's just my two cents :)

I'm going to totally agree with JewelLeigh- I've seen them pouring over the various applications and Dal really does go for the well roundedness- so instead of fretting over a B+ vs an A- worry about your musical abilities and exciting things that make you different from all the other applicants with good grades. My first year applying, in hindsight, i didn't have a reasonable chance of getting in... i would have liked to have known that before spending a LOT on flying to the interview and waiting around till the last selection meeting.

Cheers,

Scooter

Dal Class of 2010

I agree its a good thing, and I am really impressed that they are going over the everyone's files before the shortlist. I would think it is unfair if they did some second cut off after everyone shelled out $ to apply, but since they arent doing that I think its all good. If I don't a have a chance I'd like to know asap, so I can start working on things, and planning appropriately.

Hi,

I got three mails, each with information on something or the other missing!

(One for a missing reference, one for a missing transcript, and the other saying that my entire part 2 of the application never arrived).

They have'nt told me which ones are missing and so far have not responsed to my mails either. On top of it the mail from the admissions office said that I need to submit all the missing information before Dec 18!

Anyone receive something similar.

Guest mdhopefully

I got the same message saying my supplemntry app. and essays didnt arrive.......i sent it express post though so i dont know how that happened...so i sent it again....and i sent it to the address she gave me in the email.....and now when i looked at contacting addmissions i realized that she didnt give the building name in her address and i copied it word for word......so if its not received by tuesday ill be sending again!!!

I think I can send the second application again. It should not be a problem.

It is the missing reference letter and transcript which is causing me concern. Unless they tell me which one is missing, how can I act on it. And I hope my referees do not go on vacation for the next week or so.

Archived