Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa elective : need some help.

Hey everyone,

I've got an elective set up in Ottawa for March, and I had a few questions. In no particular order :

1) Is the Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, far away from the med school ?

2) Long vs short white-coat ? Is there some policy regarding this ?

3) Housing. ? Know any good place to stay at for 1 month, preferably close to the OH, Civic Campus ?

4) How's the public transportation system ?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Blake,

Is that your neurosurgery elective that worked out?

I can answer some of your questions.

The medical school (RGN) is between the Ottawa General and CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario). It is actually physically attached to the 2, no need to step out in the freezing cold!

Civic is not "far". You do have to cross the canal, which means when driving the route is not as direct as you would like (well, as I would like). I don`t recall how long it takes to get there...15 minutes?

Don't know about public transportation. But there is a shuttle that goes between the General and the Civic every half hour (I believe, something like that, may be every hour at non-peak hours) that is free. It also stops at Riverside so it takes a bit longer than if you were to just drive yourself. But, parking at Civic is crazy, so you end up driving around forever for parking anyway depending on time of day.

As far as I know there is no policy about short vs. long white coat.

Can`t recommend anything about housing. But Ottawa isn`t that big, if you are bringing a car, you could be almost anywhere and your drive would be reasonable.

Hey there's no policy on short vs long.. all the elective students I've seen have been in longs and we wear long ..

OC transpo's good but the shuttle's your best bet between the general and civic.. you don't have to transfer buses this way and you can relax

I'm a nursing student at RGN and have clinicals at both of the hospital campuses. I find it easier to use OC Transpo to get between the hospital and Ottawa U. The 85 has stops at the General Hospital (and RGN, which is right next door), at the University's main campus, and at the Civic, and it goes by every 15 minutes or so (the shuttle is only every hour or half hour).

The public transport has a website:

http://www.octranspo.com/Main_MenuE.asp

It is quite good - maps, schedules, trip planner.

What you could do, is get a copy of the shuttle time table and the 85 time table and then depending one when you want to travel, take whichever is more convenient. The 85 goes between the OGH and the OCH, but it stops all along the way, so there are probably faster ways (with transfering) to get between both hospitals.

As for somewhere to stay..isn't there a residence at the OCH? I'm not sure, but its ringing a bell. I don't know where else you would stay for only a month. Sorry. Make sure you bring some warm gear in case its cold.

Thanks everyone:)

Everyoneloveschem (I loved chem, actually), I live in Quebec. I know a thing or two about Xtreme cold (we're talking minus 50 celsius here), haha.

I'll probably end up renting a room with someone who has hosted visiting students before (there's a pdf file for visiting students on your school's website)

Sounds pretty good, but it seems like it's made for people who actually need it (well, I need it, but some people need it more, as this is a ''non-profit motel facility serving patients and families using Ottawa-area hospitals''). Appreciate the help though.

Sounds pretty good, but it seems like it's made for people who actually need it (well, I need it, but some people need it more, as this is a ''non-profit motel facility serving patients and families using Ottawa-area hospitals''). Appreciate the help though.

When I interviewed last year, I told them I was there to interview (not a family member of a patient) and they seemed ok.

Just throwing it out there, maybe as a last resort perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...

Update : found a nice place to stay for the elective. Thanks for the help, everyone ! It's really great that Ottawa made a pdf file for visiting medical students. Makes everything so much easier. :D

By the way, is it just me or is the General Hospital HUGE ? Wow.

Archived