Premed 101 Forums

UBC surgery electives?

I'm a second year med student at UofT, and I would like to set up some surgical electives at UBC (will be applying to surgery at UofT and UBC). I'm considering general surgery, orthopedics and plastics. My question is, has anyone had a particularly good experience with a supervisor at UBC that they would reccommend working with?

Thanks,

Theresa

I'm a second year med student at UofT, and I would like to set up some surgical electives at UBC (will be applying to surgery at UofT and UBC). I'm considering general surgery, orthopedics and plastics. My question is, has anyone had a particularly good experience with a supervisor at UBC that they would reccommend working with?

Thanks,

Theresa

Hi there,

I completed a 3-week elective in Gen Surg at UBC. If you choose to do a Gen Surg elective at UBC, however, you have no choice but to be allocated to the hepatobiliary team; therefore, you will be working with the entire HPB team, e.g., Drs. Chung, Scudamore, etc. If you elect to complete a rotation in a sub-specialty of Gen Surg, e.g., Vascular, Colorectal, etc., then you have your pick of sub-specialties, however, UBC does not recognize this as being a true Gen Surg elective for CaRMS purposes.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

i'm definitely signing up for that...most of my research is in hepatobiliary surgical oncology. so how does setting up an elective work? ive been told that we have '6 weeks elective' in third year. So i gather most people do two 3 week electives. What else would you reccomend?

Hi,

Elective set-ups differ from school to school. I'm sure UofT will provide information when the time comes. UBC gives out of town elective students first dibs at electives during select months only. There are a number of months during the year where UBC students have priority re: elective time (those months include Sept.-Nov. plus a few others, which you should check). So it would be advantageous for you to try to arrange your UBC elective during one of the months where you won't have to wait for the UBC elective requests to process first.

FYI, I was told by the UBC Gen Surg folks that all elective students are placed in the HPB service because: 1) the service is the busiest of all the surgical services there and they need the extra manpower; 2) it's the most stressful service with the longest hours and longest patient rosters so they like to see how you cope. Elective students also tend to have the heaviest call schedule, i.e., the most nights on call relative to the UBC students who are on the rotation.

All that being said, the residents are excellent and it's a great experience, with some of the best surgery call rooms I've come across.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

i'm definitely signing up for that...most of my research is in hepatobiliary surgical oncology. so how does setting up an elective work? ive been told that we have '6 weeks elective' in third year. So i gather most people do two 3 week electives. What else would you reccomend?

You won't know your third year rotation schedule until April and most schools don't accept elective applications more than a year in advance. So I wouldn't worry too much about setting things up right now.

And just curious, why only UBC and UofT? Especially if you're looking at plastics you'll need to apply more broadly than that.

Good luck!

I hear we get our rotation schedule in March, so I sort of want to have an idea of what I'm going to do so I'm not rushing to set it up at the last minute..but yeah, not sending any e-mails now obviously. I got sort of confused at the '6 weeks elective time' in third year...that really doesnt give you a lot of time to do rotations in different places (especially with the provision that 2 elective blocks must be in unrelated areas) So thats why I narrowed elective experience down to UBC and UofT, but ideally I'd like to apply everywhere with a good program.

How does that work, by the way...how many distinct electives did you do during the 6 week third year period?

T

• 2 weeks later...
How does that work, by the way...how many distinct electives did you do during the 6 week third year period?

T

Hi,

At UofC we also have a 6-week elective period in third year, up front. Some folks divided the 6 weeks into two, 3-week experiences and others divvied it into three, 2-week experiences. Generally, 2-week experiences can be beneficial if you're going to be working with one preceptor solely for the two weeks or if you're trying to cover programs which require that you complete an elective there to be considered for their residency program, e.g., Toronto Plastics.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived