Premed 101 Forums

to request an interview

v07

hey guys-

i've heard that if you don't get an interview from a school that you're particularly interested in, you can call them and request that they reconsider. i'm wondering how successful this is- has anyone heard of people getting interviews like this?

also, do you e-mail the program secretary or the program director himself? also, e-mail or phone?

thanks

• 1 month later...

First of all:

Check the program's CaRMS site carefully. Sometimes nobody is offered interviews, you are SUPPOSED to request one.

Secondly, it is okay to request an interview if you don't get one in the first place. If possible, contact the program director directly, but cc it to the secretary as well (because often they are the ones who actually coordinate everything). Sometimes it might simply be an oversight that you weren't offered an interview in the first place. I actually know a guy who got an offer for U of C IM after initially being denied an interview there. Remember... you have nothing to lose... at the moment you don't have an interview. The worst thing they can say is 'no'. Remember to be polite and curteous and not to sound too "freaked out".

good luck.

Hey there,

I agree with ffp's post, you have nothing to lose and you don't have to sound whiny. I know of people both in the past and this year who did not get an interview and after contacting the program director, glitches in the screening process were found and they were later offered an interview.

For example, some programs screen based on having done an elective there. Someone I know had done an elective at the school but somehow the elective had been missed by the person reviewing his file so he had already been screened out mistakedly.

You can also try to get feedback from the program director- some of them will take the time to look over your file and tell you why you weren't offered an interview there.

All in all, it's all about making sure that your interest in interviewing there and your file were viewed accurately. If after contacting the program director (I agree with cc'ing the secretary but not contacting the sec directly as they are the ones who are more likely to see you as whiny and screen you), you are not successful, then at least you know you've tried your best to demonstrate your interest, and that in itself, I believe, is a good stage to walk away from feeling better about yourself.

Good luck fellow CARMers!

Wassabi

• 3 years later...

Well, program secretaries are often valued members of the department who have been working with the staff for many years, and have seen many cohorts of residents come and go; they administer the residency program as well, once you are in. At the least, they can judge how applicants treat those people who aren't perceived to be part of the official selection committee!

Archived