Premed 101 Forums

Need help with GPA + DAT

Hi everyone I'm new on this forum and I'm really glad that I found it!

I just completed my first semester in University of Montreal in biology (microbiology). I only took 3 courses because of personal problems and even tho I got a pretty low GPA, around 1.8 - 2.0 (on a 4.3 scale)... However Iv'e scored a 20 on the carving test.

Now my question is, should I continue and finish my 3 years degree and apply into dentistry or should I change and do a minor, meaning taking courses of my choice about anything? Is it possible to redo a course and replace my first score by the new one? I want to get into dentistry really bad and I'm confused on how to get in...

I'm waiting for your replies, thanks!

Hi everyone I'm new on this forum and I'm really glad that I found it!

I just completed my first semester in University of Montreal in biology (microbiology). I only took 3 courses because of personal problems and even tho I got a pretty low GPA, around 1.8 - 2.0 (on a 4.3 scale)... However Iv'e scored a 20 on the carving test.

Now my question is, should I continue and finish my 3 years degree and apply into dentistry or should I change and do a minor, meaning taking courses of my choice about anything? Is it possible to redo a course and replace my first score by the new one? I want to get into dentistry really bad and I'm confused on how to get in...

I'm waiting for your replies, thanks!

With a GPA that low, you won't be considered for admission.

Each school has different rules about repeating classes, dropping your worst year, and how they calculate your GPA for admission. Is there a particular school you were planning to apply to?

I know with a GPA that low I don't stand a chance, but then again I only have 9 credits done on 50, meaning that I still have a chance of bringing it up realisticly to 3.7 on a 4.3 scale...

Now I know that University of Montreal will credit the premed year if you have completed a BAC in Biology which is 3 years. But I'm hesitating in staying in Biology and finish the BAC or switch into something way more easier like a minor and take stupid classes like Introduction to word, Spanish 101, etc. Something really easy so I can bring up my GPA you know? What do you guy's think?

As for the school I'd like to attend, for sure I rather stay in my home town and attend University of Montreal, but if not I don't really care as long as I'm in and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about :P

I'm really looking forward to your replies!

I know with a GPA that low I don't stand a chance, but then again I only have 9 credits done on 50, meaning that I still have a chance of bringing it up realisticly to 3.7 on a 4.3 scale...

Now I know that University of Montreal will credit the premed year if you have completed a BAC in Biology which is 3 years. But I'm hesitating in staying in Biology and finish the BAC or switch into something way more easier like a minor and take stupid classes like Introduction to word, Spanish 101, etc. Something really easy so I can bring up my GPA you know? What do you guy's think?

As for the school I'd like to attend, for sure I rather stay in my home town and attend University of Montreal, but if not I don't really care as long as I'm in and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about :P

I'm really looking forward to your replies!

A Driller & Filler here :)

As I certainly agree with you "AS long as your IN, your IN!" I find that from my personal experience (so far) that any dental school will teach you to become a good dentist wether it's UofT or UBC. I find that while ur in D skool, you teach yourself most of the stuff anyways. I hope this is not the case with our senior years :confused: But yah if you can't get in at home, go to any skool where you can get admission, at the end of the day everyone will graduate and be called DOC.

As for your grades, you said u had a bad year right?... It's only one year right? so what, just continue progressing as you intend to with the goal in mind of getting to D-Skool. Aside from profilling the pre-req's with your spare time, take all the bird courses you can, the goal is to drive that number up, and honestly Admission anywhere doesn't give a dam what major you did in undergrad. from my experience, alot of my classmates, and friends of mine who are at UWO dental school, did have a bad year (some even got 2.4/4.0) and manage to make a great come back and now their here! so no sweat just continue on and look past the 1 bad year. Also, don't let any 1 tell you ur not cut out for D-Skool base on numbers from 1 year, continue fighting and continue driving those numbers up! if all else fails in Canada, look south of teh boarder, there are plenty of good schools there as well.

SO yah, from your post it seems to me like U want D-Skool, so if you work hard enough you will drill & fill as well. Good luck Champ

Thanks for your replie DOC :D Really cheered me up there!

It's not one year it's one semester that I messed up, It's even better than a year I guess...

And I think your right about the "they don't care what courses you took in pregrad" part. Might as well switch and take something easy, aslo known as GPA booster courses.

As for D-school, I don't want to pay 30-50k a year! Rather stay in montreal and pay 10-15k a year! I don't know if it's the same with other schools in Canada tho...

Remember to check out many schools and look at the prereqs they require as well and make sure to take them, you don't wanna limit urself to only a few schools later on solely because you do not have the prereqs. And from what I've seen most prereqs are first year courses and I dunno if your school is like mine, but my school only allows you to take a certain number of first year courses so make sure to get the prereqs in. I know you wanna go to a local school, and so did I in my first years, but later you may find that your chances to get in somewhere else may be better so your should be ready for that. You can take easy courses to bring up your gpa, but try and do a program which you enjoy. You've only finished your first semester and you have a long way to go so you might as well study something which you are interested in. An advantage to keeping your major in sciences is that it will better prepare you for the DAT, but you can off-set that by putting in a little more effort studying when you write it. Good luck.

Even though your main focus should be to get a high GPA, I think you should also focus on getting a degree..it doesn't matter what it is..but a degree..don't just take classes for the sake of taking them. Say you don't get in right when you are done..well if you want to improve your application at that point..you might consider doing a masters. Anyway, I think you should still keep your options open...ie don't end up with a useless degree in the end. Besides, the entrance requirements at french schools are usually lower than all the other universities in Canada...just because not enough people apply for them..so you'll be fine...just improve your GPA!!

Archived