Premed 101 Forums

shortage of rural/family doctors

I'm definately with you Kayemcee! The incentives work, whether it be encouraging a healthy rural life like NF or monetary rewards. There are a few small towns in Southern Ontario that were working on recruiting doctors (Wallaceburg or Walkerton - can't remember which - comes to mind). Because the towns set the new MDs up with offices, equipment and overhead coverage, they now have doctors.

Although, more med schools so there's more doctors to spread around would likely be helpful as well.

eise, the less hours from a female doctor argument gets me personally. I don't intend to have children so I don't see why I should have to worry about being perceived as a waste of education funding (not that we're there, but if the blogger has his way, we may get there).

eise, the less hours from a female doctor argument gets me personally. I don't intend to have children so I don't see why I should have to worry about being perceived as a waste of education funding (not that we're there, but if the blogger has his way, we may get there).

Darla, then I definitely understand why you feel prejudiced. However, I believe you and Joichi are a minority of women and so perhaps the argument is justified? Although I am definitely not looking forward to actually taking care of kids. Isn't that what nannys are for ;) ?

Darla, then I definitely understand why you feel prejudiced. However, I believe you and Joichi are a minority of women and so perhaps the argument is justified? Although I am definitely not looking forward to actually taking care of kids. Isn't that what nannys are for ;) ?

Yeah, but then you get a child who was raised by someone other than you....which kind of defeats the purpose. I can tell you this because my brothers had an all-day nanny, and then my father kept wondering why they were talking like country bumpkins (she was rather country, if you know what I mean), etc. Well, hello, she's the one they spent the most time with!

And Kuantum, you won't find out more in this thread, because now we've hijacked it for the purposes of discussion of women's rights.:D

Archived