Premed 101 Forums

shortage of rural/family doctors

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about how to address the shortage of rural/family doctors; do you think implementing a height rule would help?

For example, only men over 6 feet, and women over 5"7 can apply. I think that would fix the shortage,

(oh snap I am so bored, and a big loser)

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about how to address the shortage of rural/family doctors; do you think implementing a height rule would help?

For example, only men over 6 feet, and women over 5"7 can apply. I think that would fix the shortage,

(oh snap I am so bored, and a big loser)

I'm going to have to kick you next time I see you on campus. Not everyone can be a towering power of cool MC :D

But I still laughed ;)

On a serious note, I was asked this during a mock interview, and I said that the regional bias of some schools, as well as the opening of NOSM which favours northern rural areas are good starts to address the issue.

The discussion then directly turned to the nature of the bias and whether it is fair or not. Anyone else address the issue differently?

hey...

based on what I've read, i agree that initiatives which 1) favor rural/northern applicants 2) set more flexible GPA/MCAT cut-offs will train more physicians who will return to work in rural/norther settings.

In addition, I think promoting medicine as a potential career to students with an interest in highschool and then providing monetary resources to help them through undergrad and medicine is also a good idea.

Then, we can also encourage medical students early in their training to do clinical work in rural/northern settings...this exposure can show some students that they enjoy the rural lifestyle, as well as the benefits of practicing rural medicine (more responsibility, more variety... ..more good stuff that I don't know about).

I'm sure there's more,

holla back

I'm quite sure I'm in the minority here, but I a believer that while regional bias may recruit more future doctors to certain parts of Ontario, these policies are inequitable and should not continue in the future.

I agree with provincial quotas at schools because medical schools (and health care) are provincially funded institutions and as such, should serve the citizens of the province first and foremost. Because they are provincially funded institutions, these schools should treat Ontarians with similar qualifications equally. The differences in cutoffs base on which community a person comes from violates this principle of horizontal equity that should be/is a cornerstone of public policy.

Anyone think that this is too inflammtory to get into interviews (esp. at Western)??

Hey,

I agree with provincial quotas at schools because medical schools (and health care) are provincially funded institutions and as such, should serve the citizens of the province first and foremost. Because they are provincially funded institutions, these schools should treat Ontarians with similar qualifications equally. The differences in cutoffs base on which community a person comes from violates this principle of horizontal equity that should be/is a cornerstone of public policy.

This begs the question of how you would address the shortage of doctors in rural/underserviced communities under your policy?

• 3 weeks later...

If we look at the 2002, 2004 research studies into trends in med student post-grad choices in the CMAJ we can see that the students being admitted to med schools, across the country, are the least likely to go into rural medicine. It is indicated in the studies that older more settled applicants tend to gravitate towards rural family practices, while their younger counterparts tend to go for specialties other than family medicine, especially in rural areas.

The other interesting thing shown in the studies is that people from rural areas are more likely to practice in rural areas. The funny thing is that most med school students don't come from rural areas and if we then look at the key determinants of health we can see are variety of reasons for this.

It might take a real "paradigm shift" to fill the shortage...or perhaps a free flowing supply of growth hormone to raise the bar.

This argument from BSF (the author of the blog I linked to) always gets my shackles up.

"The proportion of females in med school classes has been rising steadily over the years, but given the tendency of female doctors to work fewer hours than males, as older, male physicians retire and are replaced by female doctors we're likely to have to increase the total number of doctors - as measured by the number of warm bodies with MD degrees - just to hold the supply of physicians' services constant.

Still, I doubt that we'll hear anybody complaining that we spend as much to train a female GP as we do to train a male, but get less care for our money from a female."

He has graphs to support it. We got into a wee argument in class one day over it. My contention is that many women are workaholics (and many men play lots of golf) so dismissing the number of hours we'll work seems premature. To be very clear, I'm being sarcastic about gender roles to point out that they can be argued either way ;)

But really, who are we kidding here? Honestly, I plan on working part-time for a few years when my non-existent children are young. So I do see where the critics are coming from. But I do plan on working full-time once they are in school. And besides, even if we do work less hours than our male counterparts, aren't we the preferable sex requested by patients (not sure if this is actually true but I know I choose to see a female physician for my 'womanly issues' - not sure how many men actively seek male physicians)?

There has to be a real attempt made at sexing up rural medicine, first by getting people to stop thinking of "rural" as a four-letter word.

Too many young people envision dirt roads and rednecks as the hallmarks of a rural community. This isn't necessarily the case, and it often isn't, of small towns. Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism has a great series of 30-second spots that make the rural lifestyle look pretty appealing. Medical schools have to do this, too. They have to advertise the benefits of living in a rural community and practicing medicine there.

Rural living is favoured more by older people looking for a slower pace, not generally by young, ambitious hopeful doctors. This problem will take time to solve, but I don't think offering preferential admissions policies will help. Incentives after you get your MD to study sound more equitable to me.

Archived