Premed 101 Forums

Attending social activities during carms interviews?

I'm looking for some advice and thought everyone around here might have opinions on this...

I have an interview in Vancouver on Feb. 1 for a program that is very important to me. There is a social gathering that evening to meet some of the residents etc.

I was just invited to an interview in Ottawa on Feb. 2. I have to be there first thing in the morning and in order to do that would have to forgo the social activities in Vancouver.

The Ottawa program is not nearly as important to me as Vancouver. Vancouver is definitely my first choice.

Do you think it would be a big mistake to not attend the evening activity in Vancouver? How important do you think the social things are? Any advice? I'm very conflicted!

From what i've heard, people say that the social events *don't* count towards your eventual ranking.

I think it depends on the size/type of program, but I would think that usually people at the social events aren't involved in the interview/ranking process (unless program directors show up at these things?)

However, why miss out on an opportunity to network and meet some people in the program? It surely wouldn't hurt your chances.

Can you ask the Ottawa people to move your interview? (you don't need to go into detail as to why--just say your travel plans conflict)

good luck with things!

• 3 weeks later...

First, let me qualify my experience. I was IM chief resident last year, involved in reviewing files, interviewing applicants, and organizing the social outing.

I would say, if the social outing will jeopardize your other interviews, it's okay to forego it! They are mainly intended for the applicants to ask frank questions about the program, and find out if they will fit in.

That said, we had a bit of controversy last year. One of the applicants made a complete a** of himself at the social outing. At the ranking meeting, we discussed whether or not this should be used against him. The end conclusion: The social outing is completely "off the record" and should not be considered when ranking applicants. We ended up just ranking this applicant according to his objective file scores and interview scores, which were actually quite good.

I still wouldn't advise being an a** at the social outings, though.

Another pointer for all of you going through CaRMS this year, be nice to the secretaries/support staff! Their opinions and impressions do count in the ranking (at U of S, they even have a numerical score!). Also, these individuals have usually put A LOT of work into organizing CaRMS. You don't realize this (I certainly didn't). Treat them with the respect they deserve.

Good luck everyone!

Archived