Premed 101 Forums

How best can I handle medical school and dental school application.

Hey all,

I entered into university with plans of getting into medical school. However just recently the idea of applying to dental schools also seems quite interesting specially because of the creative element of the career which I just discovered. I would therefore like to know if its possible to apply to a school for dentistry and medicine at the same time even though i think tht is highly unlikely. Secondly if tht is not possible, If any of you has applied to both medical and dental schools, what do you suggest would be the best time for applying to each of the two programs considering that I am in my second year right now. Finally when would it therefore be advisable to give both MCAT and DAT.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

Hey all,

I entered into university with plans of getting into medical school. However just recently the idea of applying to dental schools also seems quite interesting specially because of the creative element of the career which I just discovered. I would therefore like to know if its possible to apply to a school for dentistry and medicine at the same time even though i think tht is highly unlikely. Secondly if tht is not possible, If any of you has applied to both medical and dental schools, what do you suggest would be the best time for applying to each of the two programs considering that I am in my second year right now. Finally when would it therefore be advisable to give both MCAT and DAT.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Many people "if not all" apply to both meds and dents, they basically require the same pre-req's. As for MCAT and DAT, take whichever you feel more comfortable with first. From personal experience, I applied to both and interviewed for both professions (there is more overlap then you may think). I took the MCAT first then wrote the DAT's. Science was very similar and much easier. Take MCAT during summer of second year and DAT in third year or 4th year. Apply to both and keep your options open. It's normal to apply to both profession at once. Good luck.

Archived