Premed 101 Forums

I have figured out that my fellowship of choice requires the USMLEs should I choose to pursue it the States (2/2 schools that have responded so far for clarification). I am in the midst of clerkship now though... and in reality won't need the whole series for another 7+ years. Any thoughts to whether people complete the entire set of USMLEs during residency? Is it a realistic goal?

Hey Blink,

I am assuming that it's achievable to write all the USMLE series during residency, however, i don't think it's the best way to pursue it however. USMLE Step 1, is an exam that requires you to know all the tidbits of details that you've learned pre-clerkship - let's face it, the further you stray from those theoretical classes, the more you forget the itty bitty details of the rare diseases. Also, USMLE Step 2 is very similar to the MCCQE that you write at the end of med school, which is why it would be time-effective to write both back to back. Only my humble opinion of course.

CY

Hey CY -- I have the same thoughts on taking the USMLEs as you do. I'm most likely going to do Step 2 CK in May around the same time as the MCCQE. I haven't done Step 1 yet, but you can do them out of order. I was told time and again during electives that it would be a good idea and be less painful now. I wish it wasn't so expensive though!

Are you going to do the Step 2 CS (the osce) around the same time? I've been thinking of maybe delaying on that... it's $1000 and a trip to a testing centre in the States. Ouch.

Hey there,

Like you guys, I have been considering writing the USMLE Step 2, pre-MCCQE. However, one of the things that put me off is the seeming increase in prevalence (tolerance?) of US programs or centres that now regard the MCCQE as being on par with the USMLE. Have you guys thought about this at all? If so, what's making you stay on course towards writing the USMLE this year?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't know you could write them out of order.. that is probably a good idea, to start with Step 2 and catch up on Step 1 later.

Hey there,

Like you guys, I have been considering writing the USMLE Step 2, pre-MCCQE. However, one of the things that put me off is the seeming increase in prevalence (tolerance?) of US programs or centres that now regard the MCCQE as being on par with the USMLE. Have you guys thought about this at all? If so, what's making you stay on course towards writing the USMLE this year?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I figured the MCCQE would be equivalent, hence why I was not more determined to write Step 1 after second year.. I hadn't anticipated the fellowships clearly stating I needed the USMLEs and the MCCQEs were not equivalent.. really throws off my plans, but better to figure that out now rather then later.. although who knows what their policy will be in 7+ years.

Hey CY -- I have the same thoughts on taking the USMLEs as you do. I'm most likely going to do Step 2 CK in May around the same time as the MCCQE. I haven't done Step 1 yet, but you can do them out of order. I was told time and again during electives that it would be a good idea and be less painful now. I wish it wasn't so expensive though!

Are you going to do the Step 2 CS (the osce) around the same time? I've been thinking of maybe delaying on that... it's $1000 and a trip to a testing centre in the States. Ouch.

Andros,

I did my USMLE Step 1 after second year - wow, what an awful exam. I decided not to write the USMLE Step 2 after all. I initially wrote step 1 in case i would consider going to the states one day, but after much thought on the matter, i decided it probably would never happen, therefore i am not shelling out the cash to write step 2.

At Laval University, we have to pass an OSCE to get our degree seeing how the MCCQE aren't mandatory in Qc (unless you're going into family med)... Sooooooooooooooo.... if i were to write the USMLE STEP 2, i'd probably do the CK an the CS around the same time... We're spending so much money this year, might as well give our credit line a little boost ;)

CY

Hey CY - I have no plans on working in the States, but I do want to keep my options open in case I decide to pursue fellowship training there.

I didn't know the MCCQE aren't necessary in Quebec. We have to do a bunch of osce's in med 3, but the Step 2 CS sounds like it's in a league of it's own. An 8 hour osce sounds like hell to me!

Good luck with CaRMS! :)

We have a 3 hrs OSCE beginning of third yr, another 3 hrs OSCE end of third yr and then finally a last 3 hrs OSCE end of fourth yr.

Passing the OSCE is essential, b/c if you don't, then there's this whole complicated matter of delaying residency and whatnot. Last yr, the exam was awful (there was a case of sarcoidosis) and 30 people out of 150 failed the exam. Administration finally removed the sarcoidosis question and at which point only 8 people had to delay their residency (to September i think, post August OSCE retake).

At least 1/4 of the class (if not more) decide not to take the MCCQE - they've made the conscious decision that they will practice only in Qc. However, I think it's good to write them anyways, just in case.

Thanks for the good luck wishes w/ CaRMS - we know how much i need it :)

CY

Hi there,

We have OSCEs at UofC and they have been part of all three years of our medical curriculum. For clerkship, some of our rotations have OSCEs which count towards your final rotation evaluation. If you don't do well on the OSCEs then you have to do remedial work. How does this differ from the OSCEs that you guys have?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Our first OSCE is at the beginning of third year - pre-clerkship. The OSCE consists mostly of stations asking you to perform histories and physicals. It doesn't ask for differentials/treatment or whatnot...b/c it only wants to see if you'd be an ok clerk.

Second OSCE is kinda like a practice run. At the end of third yr, it encompasses both histories/physicals, but also asks about differentials, treatments and so on.

And the third OSCE, it's a final one, similar to the second one, but much harder apparently. Required to get the MD.

We don't have any exams or OSCE at the end of any rotations. Which is good and bad at the same time. Oh well :)

CY

Hey there,

Like yours, our first year OSCEs were primarily histories and physicals. Our second year OSCEs, however, included some differentials, e.g., of chest pain. The OSCEs in clerkship at UofC are much more complex, however. We have separate, compulsory OSCEs for Family Medicine, Surgery, Internal Med, Obs/Gyn, Peds and Psych--pretty much all of our rotations. For those, we've been tested not only on histories and physicals, but also, counseling, technical skills (suturing, etc.), various other types of clinical skills, e.g., imaging and ECG interpretation, but also, there have been requirements for differentials and treatment recommendations as well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived