Premed 101 Forums

"traditional" or "tight-fitting/hip" suit?

brownrobbin

Hi everyone,

I went suit shopping this weekend to prepare for possible interviews in the upcoming months. But I'm not sure whether I should get the traditional/classic look (ie. more loose-fitting, longer blazer that goes beyond the hip - what you see at Banana Republic), or the modern/tight-fitting look (ie. short blazer that's almost at the hipbone - what u see in Club Monaco).

My friends have said that the traditional/classic look (ie. longer jacket) looks more 'masculine', and the tighter-fitting modern suits (shorter jacket) can come across as "young".

For all the girls out there, what would you suggest?

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my jacket a week ago. I'm just putting it with nice black pants and shirt/tie. It fits well, its a traditional 42R with a single vent. I don't wear suits often, and dread the fact that this will have to be worn for a very long time on interview day(s). So get something comfortable. Sometimes the ones that look extremely clean cut and tailored when standing up, act funny and feel uncomfortable when you walk/sit, put on/take off. Same goes for pants, I have some pants I love but masculine issues come into play after a much walking in them. Choose wisely.

I'm not a girl, but I suggest you go with the tighter fitting one. Not only because it will make you look more feminine, but you won't blend in with the crowd so much if you are wearing something interesting. You don't need to be eccentric with your outfit, but what would be even worse is if you were boring and easily forgettable. You outfit won't make you or break you, but you could be remembered as..say..."the girl with the nice suit".

Go with the one that fits better! I know that they are probably both your size and you think they fit well, but if you really scrutinize, one of them will probably have a bit more room in some places, or is lacking some fabric in other places, or is more comfortable as a previous poster mentioned. That doesn't mean you have to go for the 'tight' one, just the one that fits your body better. Also, if you find that there is some room anywhere in whichever one you choose, you should find a good tailor (who you trust) who can take it in in all the right areas - most clothes don't really fit 'off-the-rack'. If you don't have a tailor, it's a bit of a gamble to test them out on your med interview suit so maybe do this after the fact, but it's worthwhile for all of your clothes to find one (especially if, like me, you don't have perfect modle proportions).

I'd go with the one that is less 'masculine' - they know you're a woman so I don't think there's any need to wear a more masculine type of suit.

I'm not wearing a suit though. Just black with a suit type of coat I bought over the holidays. I wore a suit last year and was uncomfortable - I'll be more comfortable this year with less and still look professional.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the swanky suit. It's not like you are coming in with your tatas hanging out, for Christ's sake. Just wear whatever fits well and fits your budget best. I wear crinoline dresses under my blazer at work and no one treats me differently. I think that if anything, clothing that's different from the sea of black suits is going to make you more memorable....and you can totally be "the girl with immense insight into the status of Canadian health care" AND "the chick with the sick threads." I think most people should get past the idea that every good-looking or well-dressed person out there is clinically retarded.:rolleyes: What's the point of wearing the more traditional suit if you feel and look like a log of timber when you're wearing it?

If I were interviewing I'd take "the girl with immense insight into the status of Canadian health care" over "the chick with the sick threads"

Ofcourse this is true, I really doubt that the clothing itself will have much impact on interviewers. However I do think that for a lot of women, and probably men too, clothing affects self concept. So I suggest that you choose whichever you feel the best in, cause I really doubt anyone will discern between a hip length jacket and a longer jacket, but your presence and how you carry yourself will make an impression.

I wore a short-jacket suit (I actually have one from Club Monaco) that I felt comfortable in. It didn't affect me negatively in any way. As long as you look professional, you'll be fine. Beyond that, the interviewers will be more interested in how you conduct yourself - so get whatever makes you feel comfortable. The last thing you need is feeling uncomfortable in your clothes on top of all the interview stress!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the swanky suit. It's not like you are coming in with your tatas hanging out, for Christ's sake. Just wear whatever fits well and fits your budget best. I wear crinoline dresses under my blazer at work and no one treats me differently. I think that if anything, clothing that's different from the sea of black suits is going to make you more memorable....and you can totally be "the girl with immense insight into the status of Canadian health care" AND "the chick with the sick threads." I think most people should get past the idea that every good-looking or well-dressed person out there is clinically retarded.:rolleyes: What's the point of wearing the more traditional suit if you feel and look like a log of timber when you're wearing it?

I agree with that.. I was just referring to being remembered JUST for what you're wearing.. if a person looks great and presents themselves as a great candidate, even better!

Not that I have an interview yet... but, the most flattering and professional suits (imho) are found at Aritzia. Most girls know this store anyway (found in larger cities)... but, seriously, these suits (Talulah Barbaton brand) are flattering on every shape and not aren't too $$$. I think a black suit with a nice, bright colourd fitted collared shirt (ie Jacob for 20$) is the way to go for ladies.

just my opinion :)

chrail

(I'm not a girl, but I've worked in clothing stores for a few years.) Buy what fits best and what you could see wanting to wear in the future. Looking stylish and put-together doesn't just apply to interviews. A fashionable blazer is a staple, and looks really hot with a pair of dark jeans.

Hi everyone,

Thanx for the feedback! I'm letting the 2 suits hang in my closet for a couple of days until my mind's 'fresh' again to look @ 'em. I guess the banana-republic suit is more "classic" in that it's longer, and the mexx one is more "modern" in that it's shorter. Hmm.. another friend said that the 'shorter' one looks like it's my 'first' suit', where as the banana one looks like "i always wear suits and not my 1st one" .. so .. argg.. :P

Not that I have an interview yet... but, the most flattering and professional suits (imho) are found at Aritzia. Most girls know this store anyway (found in larger cities)... but, seriously, these suits (Talulah Barbaton brand) are flattering on every shape and not aren't too $$$. I think a black suit with a nice, bright colourd fitted collared shirt (ie Jacob for 20$) is the way to go for ladies.

just my opinion :)

chrail

Never been to that store, but I really like Elie Tahari suits. He is a couture designer, so if you buy his suit at Neiman Marcus, it's gonna run you $500, BUT - here's where Ebay comes into play. I bought a Tahari suit on there for $80.

Hi everyone,

Thanx for the feedback! I'm letting the 2 suits hang in my closet for a couple of days until my mind's 'fresh' again to look @ 'em. I guess the banana-republic suit is more "classic" in that it's longer, and the mexx one is more "modern" in that it's shorter. Hmm.. another friend said that the 'shorter' one looks like it's my 'first' suit', where as the banana one looks like "i always wear suits and not my 1st one" .. so .. argg.. :P

Then buy the Banana one.

I look good in suits and they look good on me and I am convinced that this is because I went to a private school with a strict dress code that required blazers - and could get so tricky, that it was easiest just to wear a suit and not worry about the priests criticizing your outfit and sending you home to change. After you've worn a suit 300 times, you get used to it.

If you don't wear suits too often, practice wearing one before the interview....wear it while shopping at the mall or whatever (I wouldn't recommend wearing it outside unless it's summer for fear of getting it dirty and having to worry about cleaning it).

Its actually a good thing that interviews are during the winter months imo. On a hot day, walking around all day with a suit can be very uncomfortable. I'd rather be a little cool then boiling in a suit

But you can't see the sweat stains when you're wearing a blazer! I sweat like a bastard no matter whether it's 75 or 125 degrees, so I'm always covered in sweat stains.:rolleyes:

Whatever you're most comfortable with. I would think it would be more appropriate that since the interviewers (probably) won't have their winter jackets on, you shouldn't either.

What if you skied to the interview because there was a big storm, should you keep your skis on during the interview?

I visit this forum way too frequently, but never post. In fact, I don't recall ever posting on any forum, ever! Well, it's high time I step out from the lonely shadows and stop being such a creeper... on that note, here it is, my very first post(!):

I think all this talk of what to wear is largely irrelevant. All that is important is that at some point during the interview you take your pants off--you will be remembered. You might then also want to throw in a little interpretive dance number, as this would personalize the act further.

(If I can convince several thousand of you to do this, I might stand a better shot at getting in ;) )

All jokes aside, go with whatever you feel most comfortable in. Good luck!

Archived