Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Clinical Elective for Cdn Internationals

• 3 months later...

Speak to any of the staff urologists at U of T. You can find a list of their names with their e-mails on the U of T department of surgery website. If you have the means to, I would ask around first to find out who among them is a decent person to work with though. I will say that anyone who is willing to take on a student will likely be a pretty decent person to begin with. You don't necessarily have to start trying to find people on the residency selection committee to work with yet, but if you can, even better.

A few notes about pre-clerkship electives for IMGs:

1. Check into malpractice insurance. As a Canadian medical student, I had to enroll in a course so that my school would cover my malpractice insurance over the summer. If you don't have that luxury from your foreign school, there is malpractice insurance elsewhere that my classmates investigated but it was ~$50/day. You could still look into research opportunities that may parlay into clinical exposure without the necessity of malpractice insruance.

2. If you are an IMG and interested in competitive specialties (ie urology), it may be worthwhile looking into which schools actually allow IMGs into their residency program. Right now Toronto has 4 urology positions, and they are all for Canadian grads. Who knows what will happen in 4 years when you apply, but it is something I would think about.

A few notes about pre-clerkship electives for IMGs:

2. If you are an IMG and interested in competitive specialties (ie urology), it may be worthwhile looking into which schools actually allow IMGs into their residency program. Right now Toronto has 4 urology positions, and they are all for Canadian grads. Who knows what will happen in 4 years when you apply, but it is something I would think about.

I'm not sure I understand how this all works. I was under the impression that, as of this year, CARMS was opened up to Canadians who attended medical school outside of Canada such that we could compete for spots alongside grads of Canadian schools in the first round of matching, as opposed to a separate round of matching as the case used to be. Are you saying that UofT Urology won't allow this?

Thanks....

Most schools and programs (except in Manitoba, I believe) had separate pools for Canadian trained grads and for foreign trained grads this year i.e. they were not competing for spots against one another.

I'm not sure I understand how this all works. I was under the impression that, as of this year, CARMS was opened up to Canadians who attended medical school outside of Canada such that we could compete for spots alongside grads of Canadian schools in the first round of matching, as opposed to a separate round of matching as the case used to be. Are you saying that UofT Urology won't allow this?

Thanks....

It depends on the province. Check the Carms site for the official details. In certain provinces, ie Manitoba, IMGs compete with CMGs for the same spots. Some provinces (ie Alberta) do not let IMGs compete at all for the first round. Other provinces, ie Ontario, have two streams - one stream for IMGs and another set for CMGs in the first/second round. After the second round, it is a scramble for all spots for all applicants.

So, taking urology as an example, there are 28 spots across Canada. Dal, Ottawa, Queen's, Toronto, McMaster, U of Alberta and UBC are not offering any spots to IMGs. IMGs can compete with CMGs for the 10 spots at Manitoba (2 spots), McGill (2 spots) and the rest of the spots in Laval, Sherbrooke, U de Montreal.

Source: http://www.carms.ca/jsp/program.jsp?path=../jsp/../program_new/quota/qurology

Compare this to the Family Medicine Carms page where there are 82 spots in the first round specifically for IMGs and 854 for CMGs.

Hope this helps clarify how it worked for this match.

Archived