Premed 101 Forums

Declined interview? Please post your stats

It would be nice to figure out what different grades are assigned what AQ scores, and same with NAQ scores.

If everyone here can post your stats, it would be much appreciated. Something in the form of: I am an (IP/OOP) applicant, (with/without) my degree being completed by May 2006. My AQ score was _, my NAQ score was _ for a total of. _. My overall GPA was _%, my last 60 credits were _%, and my pre-requisite average was _%. My NAQ score was _ with the following extracurricular activities: [insert NAQ activities here...it would be helpful to have each individual scored category as well such as High Performance, Working with Others, etc]

I don't have my letter yet from UBC detailing my score, but when it comes I will post here!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be nice to figure out what different grades are assigned what AQ scores, and same with NAQ scores.

If everyone here can post your stats, it would be much appreciated. Something in the form of: I am an (IP/OOP) applicant, (with/without) my degree being completed by May 2006. My AQ score was _, my NAQ score was _ for a total of. _. My overall GPA was _%, my last 60 credits were _%, and my pre-requisite average was _%. My NAQ score was _ with the following extracurricular activities: [insert NAQ activities here...it would be helpful to have each individual scored category as well such as High Performance, Working with Others, etc]

I don't have my letter yet from UBC detailing my score, but when it comes I will post here!

Question what is an AQ score and what is a NAQ score?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rejection letter & evaluation today. I'm OOP.

AQ = 21.7

Overall gpa 82.6, prereq 80, last 60 81.5

NAQ = 18.88

Leadership: 1.5/3.5, Working with others: 4/6, Service Ethic: 4/6, Diversity: 4/6, High Level Performance: 3/3.5... then the score was scaled.

EC's include guitar, university orientation leader, varsity soccer captain for 4 years, research, hospital volunteering, big brother mentor,

Total = 40.58/50. (Cutoff for OOP was 42.25, for IP it is 35.75)

IP Applicant

BSc from UVic completed May 2006.

AQ Score = 21.8

Overall GPA = 81.70%

Last 60 Credits = 83.20%

Prerequisites = 77.00%

NAQ Score = 13.44

lots of music: musicals, paying gigs, university-level ensembles, recordings; volunteering in a long-term care hospital; tutoring high school students; intramural ultimate; new student orientation

Leadership Experience: 1.5/3.5

Service Ethic Experience: 2.571/6

Capacity to Work with Others: 1.714/6

Diversity of Experience 3.428/6

High Level of Performance in an Area of Human Endeavour: 1/3.5

Total File Review Score = 35.24

Leadership Experience: 1.5/3.5

Service Ethic Experience: 2.571/6

Capacity to Work with Others: 1.714/6

Diversity of Experience 3.428/6

High Level of Performance in an Area of Human Endeavour: 1/3.5

Gee, that stuff is kinda cruel. Might as well just write:

"Dear Applicant,

Our staff thinks you are infantile, antisocial, a wimp, and overall pathetic."

*shudder*

Who knows, exactly, how one could score 2.571/6 anything. The "accuracy" astounds me.

But hey, I missed that cutoff by 0.5 this year as opposed to 4.5 last year. There's nearly always a silver lining. With any luck, I won't have to be concerned about this next September because I'll be in Kingston.

Guest davehead

I am OOP applicant and I had not completed my degree in May 2006. My AQ score was 25.00/25.00. My NAQ score was 15.09/25.00 for a total of 40.09/50.00.

My overall GPA was 86.0%, my last 60 credits were 85.0%, and my pre-requisite average was 88.0%.

My NAQ score was as follows:

Leadership Experience - 1.5/3.5

Service Ethic Expience - 3.428/6

Capacity to Work with Others - 3.428/6

Diversity of Experience - 3.428/6

High Level of Performance in an Area of Human Endeavour - 1.0/3.5

Some of my activities:

NSERC undergraduate research award, 2 Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research (AHFMR) awards, presentation at international vision research conference, hospital volunteering, Chief Scout and Queen's Venturer Awards (Scouts Canada), electric guitar player in local band, submission to national songwriting contest, 2 published abstracts, volunteer at Calgary Folk Music Festival, Christmas Dinners to Homeless, etc...

LAME!

Anways, does anyone from BC wanna get married? Then I could be IP, and we could take over the world. Ahem. Just kidding!

GJ to everyone who got an interview. Shake things up for me!

Anways, does anyone from BC wanna get married? Then I could be IP, and we could take over the world. Ahem. Just kidding!

GJ to everyone who got an interview. Shake things up for me!

Ha,ha...that is funny! I'm married and too old for you, so don't worry:p

Just wanted to say the obvious though....

Why don't you consider moving to BC and finishing up some of your schooling here, or get some work/volunteer experience that will beef up your NAQ? How long do you have to be living in province in order to qualify as "in province" status? I know I was looking into doing that for U of C because I'm a non-traditional applicant and the 3 year program is enticing and much of my family lives in Calgary. I think for U of C you have to be living in Alberta for 12 consecutive months to qualify as IPA. I'm not sure with UBC though. To get in as an OPA anywhere, is impossible for me. The odds are so against OPAs. Just some thoughts....good luck:)

AQ is calculated based on last 60 and overall (at least for the previous years it's like this), exactly weighing of the 2 marks I am not sure. In the past A average (>85) in BOTH categories will score you 25/25...

Yeah it's interesting the 5 categories no longer carry the same weight. I think this way is better though coz not everyone can score high in "high performance" !!

I'm OOP

AQ = 23.80

NAQ = 12.36

Leadership 2.5/3.5

Service Ethic Experience 1.714/6

Capacity to Work with Others 2.571/6

Diversity of Experience 1.714/6

High level of Performance... 0/3.5

Total = 36.16

edit: ec's were lifeguarding, lifeguard competition, first aid instructor, art teacher, powerlifting coach, personal trainer, NSERC, volunteer for a major community event for 4 years, and a bunch of little things here and there.

I'm IP, with horrible marks from a BA (several years ago). Science since then.

AQ 17.80/25

NAQ 14.85/25

total 32.65/50

GPA 73.78%,

last 60 88.96%

prereq 87.10%.

NAQ score:

Leadership Experience - 2.0/3.5

Service Ethic Experience - 2.571/6

Capacity to Work with Others - 2.571/6

Diversity of Experience - 3.428/6

High Level of Performance in an Area of Human Endeavour - 1.0/3.5

ec's were: Gold Duke of Ed., sports, piano & clarinet, counsellor, lots of volunteer work and traveling, research, etc.

I wrote the essay the night before the application deadline, and should have put more of an effort into other parts of the application as well.

I'm new to all of this- any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Hello Everyone,

When I applied in 2003/2004, I was told to MAX out on those descriptions of the ECs! As it says on the online interim report,

"Failure to score well on the non-academic evaluation does not necessarily mean that applicants do not possess these qualities--

simply that they were not evident from the material in the file."

So people who are applying next time, don't just put "President of the ___ club" Detail the fact that you organized committees, delegated, etc.

So don't be discouraged if you got a low NAQ score in one of the sections. It was probably more of a matter of the description than lacking substance per se.

Realize also that just because you are not competitive for UBC, does NOT mean in anyway that you are not competitive for other schools.

IP applicant. I'm graduating with my degree this May.

AQ Score: 15.40

Overall GPA: 75.53%

Last 60: 76.95%

Prerequisites: 73.32%

NAQ Score: 13.11

Leadership: 2.0/5

Service Ethic: 2.571/6

Capacity to Work with Others: 2.571/6

Diversity of Experience: 2.571/6

High Level of Performance: 0/3.5

ECs include hospital emergency volunteering, first aid attendant for 1500+ hours, first aid instructor, shadowing physicians, work experience as a residence advisor, in client services, traveling, etc. Basically from what I'm hearing, I'll never get NAQ high enough for UBC. Nice!

So people who are applying next time, don't just put "President of the ___ club" Detail the fact that you organized committees, delegated, etc.

So don't be discouraged if you got a low NAQ score in one of the sections. It was probably more of a matter of the description than lacking substance per se.

I was rejected post-interview last year. In my feedback, they told me that the EC list is the place to tell them what you did and the essay is the place to tell them any important details and also what you learned from it. So don't neglect your essay! I think it makes more of a difference in your NAQ score than most people realize. You could have saved a forest in South America, but if you simply wrote "saved forest, summer 2006" in your EC list without talking about why it was important in your essay, you probably won't get the full amount of marks for it.

Archived