Premed 101 Forums

What exactly is residency?

shehpar786

Hi Guys,

This may sound like a dumb question but I am not clear on how the med school curriculum actually works. I am writing what I know so far. Please correct me if I am wrong: At all schools in Ontario (excluding McMaster), medicine is 4 years long. The first two years are pre-clerkship (i.e. text book years) and the last two are clerkship years (i.e. you work at a hospital). Clerkship is also called residency. I know at some point during clerkship, you decide what area you want to specialize in. If you want to be a G.P only, you spend one more year (at hospitals/clinics?) on top of those 4 years. Is this also called residency? If you want to specialize, it takes more time, depending on the specific program.

Another question: Do you write exams DURING residency as well? Also, you apply for residency after your first two years, right?

If you did your first to years at Ottawa, you could do your residency at Western, Toronto or any other school, depending on where you want to go, correct?

Also, if somebody could direct me to a couple of websites that explain this stuff, it would be great. I tried to look this up on websites of Ontario med schools but they don't explain it very well.

Thanks guys.

No, residency is AFTER those 4 years that you spend getting your MD. You do not apply for a residency (training in a particular specialty) until you are just about to graduate medical school.

I think GP (family medicine) residency is actually 3 years. So from the day you start med school classes to the day you are allowed to go out and be an independently practicing family physician, it's 7 years.

And yes, you can do your residency wherever you want (more like, wherever they accept you).

As Jochi alluded to clerkship and residency are two different things, with clerkship coming first during medical school, and residency coming after graduation. To get into a specific residency program, all medical graduates enter a process called CaRMS (Canadian Residency Matching Service) ( http://www.carms.ca ).

It used to be that becoming a general practitioner took only one extra year. But, in 1993, it was actually changed to a mandatory TWO year residency for family medicine. After the two years, you can practice as a family doc, or you can do an EXTRA year of training (for example, in obstetrics or anesthesia, etc).

And yes, you write an exam during residency, the second part of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE Part II). The first part is written after fourth year of medical school.

That's how I understand it.

Maybe this website will help, it is a little simplistic though:

http://www.cfms.org/pre_med/doctor.cfm

Hi Guys,

This may sound like a dumb question but I am not clear on how the med school curriculum actually works. I am writing what I know so far. Please correct me if I am wrong: At all schools in Ontario (excluding McMaster), medicine is 4 years long. The first two years are pre-clerkship (i.e. text book years) and the last two are clerkship years (i.e. you work at a hospital). Clerkship is also called residency. I know at some point during clerkship, you decide what area you want to specialize in. If you want to be a G.P only, you spend one more year (at hospitals/clinics?) on top of those 4 years. Is this also called residency? If you want to specialize, it takes more time, depending on the specific program.

Another question: Do you write exams DURING residency as well? Also, you apply for residency after your first two years, right?

If you did your first to years at Ottawa, you could do your residency at Western, Toronto or any other school, depending on where you want to go, correct?

Also, if somebody could direct me to a couple of websites that explain this stuff, it would be great. I tried to look this up on websites of Ontario med schools but they don't explain it very well.

Thanks guys.

Residency is after you get that mD behind your name. Ie: you're a doctor. In your final year of medical school you apply through a program called CaRMS(Canadian Residency Matching Service). You first apply for interviews (write an essay on why you want to take such program, get reference letters,etc.) Around now or a couple weeks before now you receive interview invites(hopefully:p ). You got to the interviews and then end up having to rank your choices. During residency you are still learning but you instead are getting paid:D You are correct in the fact that you can do your residency at another school other than the medical school in which you studied at. Although, the department head of whichever section of the hospital(ie surgery)will likely favour those who he/she already knows. Connections play a large inpact on getting matched to particular programs!

Good luck:)

Archived