Premed 101 Forums

How does Western consider a victory lap 5th year?

So I had a bad first 2 years. My 3rd year was an improvement, but still nothing to boast about. I'm in my 4th year and looking at an 88% average this year (a bunch of high 90s, but a couple 70s brought me down big time and my OUAC GPA for the year will probably be 3.69). I wrote the DAT and did really well:

Bio - 23

Chem - 24

RC - 23

PAT - 24

Carving - 24

But...now what? My GPA really sucks. Will Western even consider my 4th year grades since my OUAC GPA will be 3.69 (for 4th year), even though my % is 88%? My first 3 years DEFINITELY won't be considered. Is a victory lap year an option? How will it work? They'd give me a conditional offer until they see my 5th year grades (if I apply in 5th year...this upcoming December). They would then average my grades from 4th and 5th year?

I know I have NO shot at Toronto, since my first 3 years would kill my chances, just as it would in the States.

Thanks!!!

I remember when I applied, a colleague of mine was in your situation. Basically, when you do a victory lap, they no longer consider your 3rd year and 4th year separate. Instead, it is added together and averaged out. Thus, if your two best years involve either 3rd or 4th year, the two best years they consider from you will be the average of 3rd and 4th PLUS the next best year.

I am not 100% sure that my colleague was doing his 5th year when he applied or when finished it. However, I know that they combine 3rd and 4th year because that was what changed his GPA from above the class average to below. He actually called the office to inquire because he was quite angry and didn't know why he was rejected.

Well, I guess Western's view is that a 5 year degree must be weighted weaker than a normal 4-year degree (excluding co-op).

NOTE: the info I have is 2 years old. Things might have changed.

So I had a bad first 2 years. My 3rd year was an improvement, but still nothing to boast about. I'm in my 4th year and looking at an 88% average this year (a bunch of high 90s, but a couple 70s brought me down big time and my OUAC GPA for the year will probably be 3.69). I wrote the DAT and did really well:

Bio - 23

Chem - 24

RC - 23

PAT - 24

Carving - 24

But...now what? My GPA really sucks. Will Western even consider my 4th year grades since my OUAC GPA will be 3.69 (for 4th year), even though my % is 88%? My first 3 years DEFINITELY won't be considered. Is a victory lap year an option? How will it work? They'd give me a conditional offer until they see my 5th year grades (if I apply in 5th year...this upcoming December). They would then average my grades from 4th and 5th year?

I know I have NO shot at Toronto, since my first 3 years would kill my chances, just as it would in the States.

Thanks!!!

Hey Smile,

From what I have heard, they look at your 4th and 5th year and use that to determine your top two years. HOWEVER, as mentioned by Adversary, he/she had a friend in the same predicament and therefore he probably knows better than me, because my information is from word of mouth. I HIGHLY ADVISE you to email western about this, because this is an important matter. Just copy and paste what your wrote here and email it to Western.

Good Luck!

ps. By the way, great DAT scores. I think that in your situation since you have amazing DAT scores, that will definately give you a competitive edge eventhough your marks in your first three years, as you mentioned, are bad.

-Wisdom_tooth

Hey Smile,

I believe your questions is answered on the website's faq.

Can I repeat a year without penalty?

Repeat years and special years which closely resemble academic years taken during an undergraduate program (in course content and/or level of difficulty) will be averaged together with the corresponding academic year.

I believe this would apply to you since if taking 5 years at least two of your years will be similar in level. Now so they will probably average your 3rd and 4th year together as another poster mentioned. And they will count your 5th year if you apply during your 5th year. Western is actually the only school which I know who does this, usually most schools will not look at marks from your current year of study, but Western will. They will ask for final transcript for your current year in June if you are still in contention by that time.

judging from the statement

"Repeat years and special years which closely resemble academic years taken during an undergraduate program (in course content and/or level of difficulty)"

i believe whether they will average which two years depends on the courses that you are going to take in your fifth year...if your fifth year's course programme is the similar to your third year programme, your fifth and third years will be averaged....

they will average your third and fourth years if your courses in these two years are similar in year level and difficulty

• 2 months later...

How does Western evaluate students who have more than one bachelors degree? 1st bachelors 3 years long, second bachelors 2-3 years? Or do they simply not consider them at all because the applicant pool of traditional students is so competitive already?:confused:

How does Western evaluate students who have more than one bachelors degree? 1st bachelors 3 years long, second bachelors 2-3 years? Or do they simply not consider them at all because the applicant pool of traditional students is so competitive already?:confused:

I'm in a similar situation: I did engineering first (4 years) and now I'm in my 3rd year of Physiology at Western. Officially, they calculate your average based on your best two years regardless of which degree it was a part of (as long as you didn't have horrible grades in your latest two years)... But I'm sure there's some set of secret rules they don't talk about. Because if that's the actual way they calculate your average last year I had a 90% average (115 DAT, 19+ on every section), and I didn't get in (I did get an interview). This year I've applied almost everywhere and I'm sure one of these interviews will come through.

The other point I have to make is that Western will give you a slight bonus for a 4 year honours degree (ones that you can use to apply to a research-based Master's program). But they have to be a pain in the ass about it; I had to go to Toronto last year and get a form signed by U of T as proof that my engineering degree was in fact an honours degree (when there is no such thing as a 3 year BASc engineering program).

Also, just to clarify Western does NOT use the 4.0 GPA scale.

I see. I think it's this FAQ answer on the website that has me worried "Can I repeat a year without penalty?

Repeat years and special years which closely resemble academic years taken during an undergraduate program (in course content and/or level of difficulty) will be averaged together with the corresponding academic year."

They mean if you take (for example) 4th year science classes twice to boost your original marks they'll average the two years. But they wouldn't be averaging your 4th year of degree#1 with 4th year of degree#2 (arts vs sciences), because even though the course levels are comparible they're part of seperate degrees and the course contents are very different. Riiiight?

Tode, congrats on the stellar marks!

Where do you have interviews for this year?

Does U of T still apply their rule of dropping your worst year if you have 7-8 years of undergrad with more than one degree?

It's a shame Canadian schools don't care as much about references and LOR's to even things out. :(

Thanks! But it goes to show you that marks aren't everything; you have to do really well on the interview too.

Interviews, hehehe.... I got interviews at UBC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Dalhousie, Toronto, and Western :)

I'm a little tired of traveling, but I'm thankful for all the interviews. I only applied to Western and Toronto last year and only had an interview at Western; this year I wasn't going to take any chances so I applied almost everywhere :D

You're right: U of T does drop your worst year (if you have 4 or more).

As far as Canadian vs. American schools go, here is my two cents: I hate that US schools are so rigid about their LOR's. Why do you have to have 2-3 references only from professors, and only science ones at that?! There are no advisory committees in Canada and it makes it really hard to get LORs from professors when you are in HUGE classes. I think UBC and Dalhousie have a good application system.

So, 27buccal, are you applying next year? I would really recommend applying to A LOT of places. Also, if you're applying to US schools apply EARLY! I'm talking August-September!!

Archived