Premed 101 Forums

2 rounds of admission this year?

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anybody knows whether there will be two rounds of admission this year like there were last year. On the applicant information bulletin, it says that initial offers of admission go out on May 15th, and that on May 31st the faculty mails letters conveying their decision to offer, waitlist or not accept candidates. I don't know whether that just means they send out all offers on May 15th and wait to see how people respond before rejecting/waitlisting, or whether this means there are 2 rounds of admissions. I'm not ready to start harassing the admissions office just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that the initial offers on May 15 will be for people who have graduated already and do not need to submit official transcripts as these offers would not be conditional. The May 31st is probably for those currently in school whose offers would be conditional based on the final grades (which are due May 15th), thus allowing the commitee 16 days to evaluate potential students to see if they still meet criteria.

I'm not sure if that's necessarily right, because it says that the transcripts that are due on May 15th can be unofficial/incomplete. I know that some of my grades in the past haven't been determined until the end of May, which means that if I were to send a transcript to Manitoba at the beginning of May, some grades may not be ready yet. Anyways, who knows, I may cave in and just call to ask pretty soon.

I guess you misunderstood the statement.

By being a current student and getting your unofficial transcripts in by May 15th, and for hypothetical reasons they arrive May 14th, this does not guarantee that the staff will have confirmed that you have passed your required courses, and still meet the GPA requirement to have an offer sent out on May 15. Most schools like my school have policies for length of time permitted before marks must be in, probably for the purposes of students doing professional applications. The end of May seems quite late to have final marks generated.

People who have graduated have nothing left to send in for the 15th and may be entitled to earlier offers. I am sure that the commitee will have chosen the class by the beginning of May but will not make official offers to current students on the condition that they still meet all the requirements, hence the need for transcripts and time.

I can't remember where i heard this but i heard they send out 60-70 (maybe 60 IP, 10 OOP but don't qoute me) invites on the 15th, expecting about 10 turn-downs IP (those who are very competitive and are accepting at other schools). They then send a second wave on the 30th for those they can offer spots to still, probably around another 40 i think. They then put about 30 some on wait list (and i heard last year they went through the top third of the waitlist).

As for transcripts, i remember my advisor (who is on the interview panel and talks with uofm medschool fairly regularly) said that if you do well, you might get an acceptance on the 15th, without looking at your transcripts. this would mean that they do offer acceptances to those who are finishing up their degree that year. (this would be conditional tho, if you bomb the year with a 2.5 or something i think you're out of luck)

I also personally know of someone graduating from my uni (4th year) who got early acceptance, tho i'm not sure if the case is different for 4th vs. 3rd year.

Archived