Premed 101 Forums

Cut-offs are Posted

whats weird is the part saying:

In the current application cycle, Schulich Medicine received 2531 applications. Of the 450 applicants invited for interviews, approximately 80 are from SWOMEN communities.

its the same statement from the page giving the cutoffs for last year. same numbers too.

Compare:

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/#MCATGPA

AND

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/Admissions/?main_choice=4

It says "the minimum MCAT and GPA scores required for being considered for interviews are..."

Does "being considered" imply that if you make the cutoffs, you don't necessarily get an interview? You simply are considered (perhaps with final decisions resting on the essay?).

Yeah I saw that too, that's interesting.

I just called. They are indeed staying the same.

As far as "being considered"... that's nothing you should worry about. The person at admissions said as long as you've made both cut-offs you will "most likely" be considered for an interview.

I assume those that aren't have incomplete or VERY clearly poor applications.

Hope that helps and congrats to those who made the cut offs!! :D

Who knows...Western is the type of University that likes to run things through a computer. Then spits out interview letters and prints the envelopes or has a computer generated e-mail that inserts your name and all that relevant information. Then one or two people in admissions stuff the envelopes or proofreads the e-mail...and hits send or stamps it. I was under the impression that it was meet cut-offs = interview....and then interview is 50%, and then VR and WS of your MCAT is 25% and then GPA is 25%.

Who knows...Western is the type of University that likes to run things through a computer. Then spits out interview letters and prints the envelopes or has a computer generated e-mail that inserts your name and all that relevant information. Then one or two people in admissions stuff the envelopes or proofreads the e-mail...and hits send or stamps it. I was under the impression that it was meet cut-offs = interview....and then interview is 50%, and then VR and WS of your MCAT is 25% and then GPA is 25%.

where did you get those numbers for post interview evaluation? and do you mean cGPA or GPA of best 2 years?

I mean GPA of your two best years. Here's a scenario, where both students meet the cut-offs.

Student 1:

BS-10,PS-10,VR-14 WS. T ....GPA 3.95 in year 2, GPA 4.0 in year 3

Total MCAT-34T

Student 2:

BS-14,PS-13,VR-10 WS. Q.. GPA 3.95 in year 2, GPA 4.0 in year 3

Total MCAT-37Q

Interview time comes around. Both students receive interviews. Student 1 (hypothetically speaking) gets 45/50 on the interview. Student 2 gets 40/50 on the interview.

It has come down to let one more person in the schulich class of 2011...and the winner is.....Student 1. Why you ask? The VR and WS beats Student 2 out. Even with that stellar GPA and that 37Q MCAT, it just doesn't bite the pickle. UWO is all interview interview interview, as I think somoene mentioned on another thread.

best of luck

Realistically, both Student 1 and Student 2 would be offered a spot :)

Haha, this is true Kenneth. But you know for educational purposes only, I used those numbers. Wouldn't it be nice if all of us just got in....life would be so grand. Oh well, I wish I had Student 2's stats right about now...

UWO is all interview interview interview, as I think somoene mentioned on another thread.

I think almost all schools are interview interview interview. At least once you get to the interview stage.

Queen's: MCAT/GPA doesn't even count anymore. It's 50% interview and 50% sketch.

Mac: 33% GPA, 67% interview.

Toronto: they do a final review, but most students who get an interview pretty much have a high GPA/MCAT/EC's anyway, so I'd think that unless you have something amazing going for you, it comes down to the interview.

UBC: They do a final review, but if you don't hit that magic interview cutoff score, they don't even bother looking at your application anymore.

Calgary: 50% interview, 10% on-site essay, 40% GPA/MCAT/EC's

What I'm saying is that UWO is not unique in placing a huge emphasis on interview - almost every school does.

I think almost all schools are interview interview interview. At least once you get to the interview stage.

Queen's: MCAT/GPA doesn't even count anymore. It's 50% interview and 50% sketch.

Mac: 33% GPA, 67% interview.

Toronto: they do a final review, but most students who get an interview pretty much have a high GPA/MCAT/EC's anyway, so I'd think that unless you have something amazing going for you, it comes down to the interview.

UBC: They do a final review, but if you don't hit that magic interview cutoff score, they don't even bother looking at your application anymore.

Calgary: 50% interview, 10% on-site essay, 40% GPA/MCAT/EC's

What I'm saying is that UWO is not unique in placing a huge emphasis on interview - almost every school does.

Not to be rude, but this is the UWO forum. I can see your point, how the interview is important everywhere else. All I was sayiing was that at UWO you meet the cut-offs = interview. Then from there, whatever happens happens...

Archived