Premed 101 Forums

U of T Frequently Asked Questions

(trying to compile a new FAQ since the old one seems to have disappeared ... it's a work in progress!)

Application Questions

Graduate Applicants

MD/PhD Applicants

GPA Calculations

MCAT

• to do

Med Student Questions

I wouldn't suppose that someone made a video for Toronto just to see how UofT Med is like?
There's usually a video at the interview day - but I don't think that it is available online.

have there been any threads in the past discussing types of questions that are asked at the u of t interviews? i've been looking around, but i cant seem to find anything here
I'd look in the interviews forum for discussion of interview questions in general - I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the kinds of questions that get asked at U of T as compared to at any other medical school. It's also highly interviewer-dependent.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

utoronto's website says:

"The calculated grade point average used to fulfill the academic requirement will not include the candidate's current year of study, as this information is not available to us during the application period."

As an undergrad, if I want to start medicine as my 5th year, they will not look at the fourth year of my undergrad in calculating the medschool GPA? Is this correct?

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone!

Ok so my situation is this i took 5 courses in first year, out of which i did a Late "Wit-drew-al" on 2 of them, so for those 2 courses that i did "LWD" the record stays on my transcript. In the end of the first year i failed 1.5 courses. My GPA at the end of the year was 0.98. As you can tell this was a horrible year for me. I only earned 1.5 credits throughout the whole year and i have basically started my second year with taking the first year courses. Do i stand a chance to get into UFT Med school in this situation? ALso do UFT med school look at your best 3 years out of 4 years? In my case would they look at my best 3 years out of 5 years? Would they look at my best 4 years out of 5 years? Or will they look at all my 5 years and calculate my GPA on base of all 5 years?

DO I STAND A CHANCE IN UFT MED?

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you for your time.

Hello Everyone!

Ok so my situation is this i took 5 courses in first year, out of which i did a Late "Wit-drew-al" on 2 of them, so for those 2 courses that i did "LWD" the record stays on my transcript. In the end of the first year i failed 1.5 courses. My GPA at the end of the year was 0.98. As you can tell this was a horrible year for me. I only earned 1.5 credits throughout the whole year and i have basically started my second year with taking the first year courses. Do i stand a chance to get into UFT Med school in this situation? ALso do UFT med school look at your best 3 years out of 4 years? In my case would they look at my best 3 years out of 5 years? Would they look at my best 4 years out of 5 years? Or will they look at all my 5 years and calculate my GPA on base of all 5 years?

U of T will look at your marks from all your years. They do apply a weighting formula but you will not qualify as you did not have a full course load during first year due to the withdrawn courses. You have to do really well in your next four years to have a cGPA of over 3.60 to even be considered at Toronto. Getting into Toronto for you will not be easy but there is still a slim chance. I would look into other schools like Western, Queens, and Ottawa. You can find a lot of information about these schools on this forum or you can visit their websites.

EDIT: After a quick calculation, even if you had a 4.0 GPA in years 2, 3, 4 and 5 your cGPA would be less than 3.60. I'm sorry but the only way you could get into Toronto was if you had a graduate degree of some sort.

- Lupe

Hello Everyone!

Your question is premature and not particularly relevant. Develop a strong work ethic, gert high grades f or your GPA from this point forward, no distraction, relentless hard work. You want med school not U/T med school, all in Canada are excellent and highly competitive.

We learn much more form our detours than our successes! Reassess where you are going next May. GL!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I really wanted to create a new thread, but I will settle for this FAQ thread for now. Hope somebody sees this and responds.

Everywhere I look on the UofT website, I see that they say the cutoff for wGPA for undergrads is 3.6/4.0 OMSAS.

Now, would they round a 3.5945 wGPA OMSAS up to a 3.6?

I ask because I have a feeling that even though they state it as 3.6/4.0, they really mean 3.60/4.00, which is depressing and kind of annoying since we are talking about medical admissions, where you would expect absolute precision by way of decimal places.

I mean, to miss having a full file review due to 0.0005 is.....majorly depressing (if that is the case).

N.B. I know that having a 3.60 in itself would put me at the bottom of the barrel, but I do have a solid set of ECs, references, etc. So rest assured, I know the magnitude of what I am hoping for isn't really that significant in the first place.

I really wanted to create a new thread, but I will settle for this FAQ thread for now. Hope somebody sees this and responds.

Everywhere I look on the UofT website, I see that they say the cutoff for wGPA for undergrads is 3.6/4.0 OMSAS.

Now, would they round a 3.5945 wGPA OMSAS up to a 3.6?

I ask because I have a feeling that even though they state it as 3.6/4.0, they really mean 3.60/4.00, which is depressing and kind of annoying since we are talking about medical admissions, where you would expect absolute precision by way of decimal places.

I mean, to miss having a full file review due to 0.0005 is.....majorly depressing (if that is the case).

N.B. I know that having a 3.60 in itself would put me at the bottom of the barrel, but I do have a solid set of ECs, references, etc. So rest assured, I know the magnitude of what I am hoping for isn't really that significant in the first place.

That's a tough one man, if I recall from an old blog Q&A by Deborah, that would be rounded down to a 3.59 and you would be ineligible. Sorry to say.

Double check with Deborah to make sure. Also, ensure your wGPA calculation is accurate.

Thanks, anxious_101!

I fired off an email late last week to UTadmissions, so hopefully she gets back to me soon.

Yea, it is a bummer!! So close! And what's more I actually wrote a solid essay for UofT (in my opinion, of course).

I wonder if it would be cheeky of me to bring up the fact that they should really be more "precise" on their posted GPA numbers...-_- the words of a desperate man

Archived