Premed 101 Forums

3rd and 4th year Meds at Queens

The short answer is: no. Our first and second summers kick ass because we have tons of time to do things like work, travel, travel for medical opportunities, do rotating observerships in Kingston (several week-long observerships in different specialties), or sit on your couch and catch up on all the episodes of Grey's Anatomy and House that you missed because of studying.

The 3rd summer is in the middle of your clerkship, and from what I gather you don't really get any time off. Or at least nothing substantial. The 4th summer is unique because by June you're already done med school, but you're probably in the process of getting set up in the place where you'll be doing your residency.

I hope that helps a bit. Since I am only in 1st year I have yet to find out what clerkship is really like, and what I will be spending my time doing once I graduate.

My roommate, a 4th year, got 2 weeks off in the summer of 3rd year and 2 weeks off at the end of December. She also had from the beginning of January to mid-Feb of 4th year to do her CaRMS interviews and 10 days of electives. The Queen's clerkship has changed a little bit for the classes below her, so she's not entirely sure if the current 3rd year class still gets 2 weeks off at Christmas (apparently it's more than other schools get), but I imagine there's still a 2 week break in the summer of 3rd year. My class (2nd year) is going to have a clerkship info session soon, so I'd be able to better say at that point.

Archived