Premed 101 Forums

Grad Students Interview: anyone got one yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I know this is a bit of a dead issue given that all the invites/rejections have already gone out. But, I'm just wondering how important it is to have publications as a thesis-based grad student. I know that many factors are considered in the application process, but I was hoping people would be willing to share whether or not they had papers and whether or not they got an interview.

I will start. I had abstracts from conference presentations (3) but I didn't have any formal publications at the time of application (I am working feverishly to finish up 2 right now though) and I didn't get an interview.

Hopefully people are willing to share that info. I know that publication aren't essential for undergrad applicants, but I'm curious to see if it really mattered for thesis-based grad students.

Hey, I know this is a bit of a dead issue given that all the invites/rejections have already gone out. But, I'm just wondering how important it is to have publications as a thesis-based grad student. I know that many factors are considered in the application process, but I was hoping people would be willing to share whether or not they had papers and whether or not they got an interview.

I will start. I had abstracts from conference presentations (3) but I didn't have any formal publications at the time of application (I am working feverishly to finish up 2 right now though) and I didn't get an interview.

Hopefully people are willing to share that info. I know that publication aren't essential for undergrad applicants, but I'm curious to see if it really mattered for thesis-based grad students.

I would speculate publications for grad applicants are quite important, especially when the UT website specifically mentioned it:

There is an emphasis on academic achievements in postgraduate study, particularly research productivity.

From: http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/md/admissions/0708/Graduate_Applicants.htm

I do not have a publication but I have a paper accepted (submitted at the time of application). I think publicatons are important, but not essential.

I had an interview.

I had one undergrad first co-author paper published, one grad paper submitted (but not yet accepted when the grad app package was due. now it is!), and two papers "in progress" at that time (one first author, one second author).

• 2 weeks later...
Does the Graduate admissions process give first preference to Ontario residents?

Otherwise why would they interview them first?

I don't know anything about preference but why do you think they interview ontario grads first? If anything, grads are usually interviewed at the end (from all provinces). Perhaps you are thinking of the MD/PhD applicants, in which case they are interviewed earlier.

Archived