Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculations?????

nbsam

Hey...would anyone be so kind as to explain how the weighted gpa is calculated. I am kind of (understatement) confused on two points: first, am I correct in assuming no set 'canadian' formula in that each cdn med school has slight twists on their method of calculating?

Second, is it really as simple as taking whatever your course % grade is, deciding whether you got over 90% and then calling that a 4.0, 85-89 would be 3.8, and so on...? Then just take all those and multiply by course credit (ie 3 or 6, half year or full year), and finally if doing it by year (ie-Ottawa U) then break it down annually?

OMSAS has a conversion chart, but then Ottawa and others seem to calculate your gpa in their own funky way...

help????:confused:

Hey...would anyone be so kind as to explain how the weighted gpa is calculated. I am kind of (understatement) confused on two points: first, am I correct in assuming no set 'canadian' formula in that each cdn med school has slight twists on their method of calculating?

Second, is it really as simple as taking whatever your course % grade is, deciding whether you got over 90% and then calling that a 4.0, 85-89 would be 3.8, and so on...? Then just take all those and multiply by course credit (ie 3 or 6, half year or full year), and finally if doing it by year (ie-Ottawa U) then break it down annually?

OMSAS has a conversion chart, but then Ottawa and others seem to calculate your gpa in their own funky way...

help????:confused:

This is probably in the wrong forum, since you don't refer to Queens at any point.

As far as I know, Queens only looked at the cumulative GPA and the GPA of the last 2 years. There are some "twists" - UofT has their own weighting formula that only applies if you have taken 5 full credits for a number of years (I can't remember if it was 3 or 4). It's not all that weird. Consult the school-specific forum or post in the general forum for details on each school.

% to GPA conversion is done just as you suggest:

Take the percentage grade (or letter grade)

Find the corresponding GPA on the OMSAS chart

Average your GPAs together by year, or cumulatively. Watch as your marks get screwed! I went to a school where we used percentage grades, and the conversion is never kind - as you can tell, I'm not a fan of the GPA system.

Courses here are usually only half semester or full semester, so full semester courses would have 2x the weight.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. Sorry, I don't mention Queen's but I am indeed applying. Their conversion seems straightforward, so I think I'm ok there. UofT and UofO on the other hand seems to do things a bit differently. I just want to make sure I'm not caught off guard later thinking I am likely ok for what will be next year's cutoffs (2008 admission). I have an 86.92 overall now, with this semester's half courses yet to be factored in. I am told this is good, but I worry. A lot...:) Thanks again.

Archived