Premed 101 Forums

canadian med schools accepting international students?

soxman

McGill, UofT, McMaster (allegedly) and I'm not sure about the others.

Hey thanks for the response. So ur not sure about McMasters? Thats alright, I can find out. None of these Universities seemed to respond to my emails. Are they better thru phone?

I hope I can get a longer list...so keep em coming

Hey,

If your applying as an independent international applicant, the schools Kuantum mentioned are the only ones to go.

Some schools like Calgary accept International students through contracts with foreign governments, but I don't have a comprehensive list of these schools.

Hope this helps.

P.S. with regards to the non-response of e-mails, it's probably because most admissions offices are extremely busy with the current admissions cycle. If you aren't able to get through to them over the phone or visit them personally, give them some time. I'm sure they'll answer back.

Hey,

If your applying as an independent international applicant, the schools Kuantum mentioned are the only ones to go.

Some schools like Calgary accept International students through contracts with foreign governments, but I don't have a comprehensive list of these schools.

Hope this helps.

P.S. with regards to the non-response of e-mails, it's probably because most admissions offices are extremely busy with the current admissions cycle. If you aren't able to get through to them over the phone or visit them personally, give them some time. I'm sure they'll answer back.

Hmm so I guess so I'll have to apply for the ones Kuantum mentioned. I hope McMaster's does take internationals. I'll try to aplpy this summer for next year's batch. Lets see...

I just emailed McMaster yesterday so I cant expect a response till tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks

Memorial University of Newfoundland also takes international students, although not many.

If you speak French, I believe a couple of the French universities (l'Universite de Montreal and Laval) also take international students from Francophone countries.

Well thats good to know. I 'll apply there also.

I heard that there is a possibility that Mac will increase their tuition fees for international students from $47,000 per year to around $91,000!!! That is crazy! Who do I talk to about this to maybe wauver the change. $60,000/ year is acceptable.

Ya...f*ck that. As much as I want to be a doctor, I don't know if I'd be willing to go to Mac for that much per year. Plus, chances are if you are getting into Mac as an international student, you can probably get into McGill or a pretty decent US school...which is likely to be less than $91,000 per year.

• 1 month later...
Well thats good to know. I 'll apply there also.

I heard that there is a possibility that Mac will increase their tuition fees for international students from $47,000 per year to around $91,000!!! That is crazy! Who do I talk to about this to maybe wauver the change. $60,000/ year is acceptable.

91 CND is not that crazy. If you consider that its a 3 year program and most american private schools will probably cost about the same for a 4 year degree.

• 3 weeks later...

McGill accepts international students, about 20 or so per year (no other med school in Canada accepts this many international students). Tuition for international students is around 26,000 per year and cost of living in Montreal is still relatively low. McGill as a school (not only the med faculty) has a huge proportion of international students from all over the world.

No...most american schools will not cost that much

Yeah, 91K CAD is 273 CAD, which is about 240K USD....the equivalent of 60K USD a year. I can only think of one US school that charges that much (University of Colorado for OOS...or intl, one of those). Most are about 40K USD. $80,000 US is a damn sizeable difference.

Archived