Premed 101 Forums

Rejection? Anyone??

I'm posting this because I'm becoming convinced that UT simply has not sent out their rejections yet... those of us who haven't heard back are not just two-fifths or one-fifth of the candidates, we are a small minority who may still be invited, as well as everyone (or almost everyone) else who will be rejected from Toronto this year.

So the question is.... have you heard of anyone being rejected? how many?

People have been receing rejections as others have been receiving invites.

my GPA is around 3.96 and I haven't heard anything yet. :(

Applications are being processed in batches, and applicants are being invited in batches. So you still have a chance.

I doubt anyone has received a rejection yet, since nobody has posted such on this forum. I think they'll send the rejections out in a tidy batch sometime in March or early April - and by then you'll probably already know you aren't getting an interview.

Applications are being processed in batches, and applicants are being invited in batches. So you still have a chance.

I doubt anyone has received a rejection yet, since nobody has posted such on this forum. I think they'll send the rejections out in a tidy batch sometime in March or early April - and by then you'll probably already know you aren't getting an interview.

Thanks for your reply. UofT is my first choice, so I hope I get an interview there. I'm just feeling a bit dejected after my rejection from Ottawa.

The UofT selection process is quite an oddity (at least to me). If they are sending invites in batches would that mean they haven't reviewed the files of those still waiting for an invite? If this is the case is it possible that they have invited less qualified candidates before better ones? And similarly, a great candidate could potentially never get an interview depending on when their file is reviewed. Also do you know (or think) if invites depend on being better qualified than the others in those "batches". This would seem to be unfair because if the batches are random you could be in one batch full of all great candidates or one with not so great ones.

Then again if they these "batches" aren't random then that would mean they have already reviewed all the candidates and could potentially give invites right now as we speak.

Maybe I've missed the mark (Just a little concerned - seen lots of people with comparable stats that got an interview). Any thoughts?

The UofT selection process is quite an oddity (at least to me). If they are sending invites in batches would that mean they haven't reviewed the files of those still waiting for an invite? If this is the case is it possible that they have invited less qualified candidates before better ones? And similarly, a great candidate could potentially never get an interview depending on when their file is reviewed. Also do you know (or think) if invites depend on being better qualified than the others in those "batches". This would seem to be unfair because if the batches are random you could be in one batch full of all great candidates or one with not so great ones.

Then again if they these "batches" aren't random then that would mean they have already reviewed all the candidates and could potentially give invites right now as we speak.

Maybe I've missed the mark (Just a little concerned - seen lots of people with comparable stats that got an interview). Any thoughts?

my belief was they score you right after YOUR interview (is this correct? i would assume its thsi way for ALL interviews). so in an ideal world, you aren't being compared to your batch in terms of your interview. you are just getting a score, and then that will be factored into an offer once ALL have been interviewed. any med students want to shed liight on this?

Sorry I think I may have misunderstood what excalibre said. I thought these "batches" are pre-interview entities, consisting of applicant files being considered for interview.

Whatever...I think I'm thinking too much about this.

What goes on in the med school selection process is so confusing (even if they say how it works) and full of anomalies that if I get an interview at Toronto I'm just going to say "a wizard did it" and leave it at that.

Sorry I think I may have misunderstood what excalibre said. I thought these "batches" are pre-interview entities, consisting of applicant files being considered for interview.

Whatever...I think I'm thinking too much about this.

What goes on in the med school selection process is so confusing (even if they say how it works) and full of anomalies that if I get an interview at Toronto I'm just going to say "a wizard did it" and leave it at that.

yea you are right. these batches are preinterview...and once you interview, and once you are accepted, the batches dont' matter

i thought you were saying that some batches may have great applicants and others may have not so great applicants and this makes for unfair interview comparisons? perhaps i misunderstood you. but, this would be highly unfair.

My two cents….after spending some time on this board and working with professors on the admissions committee this is the way I understand the process, correct me if I am wrong, but most of this stuff has been said on this board before….your file will end up being reviewed by two readers: a physician or professor and a med student, they will assign you a mark out of 100, based on the following criteria: 60% U of T calculated GPA, 20% reference letters, 10% autobiographical sketch, 10% essay. Now here is where it gets subject – there are a lot of different readers, and the percentages are guidelines, meaning they can just assign you a high number if they like your overall application. As well, not all applications are reviewed at the same time, so I believe a cut-off is made, for example (it is just an example) those with a score of over 80 get an interview.

Now here is where I think you stand if we haven’t heard yet this year. U of T had an increased number of applicants this year and on top of that, bumped up their interview weekends to early dates, so logically they have been struggling to organize and schedule interviews. So if you haven’t heard, either your file is in a ‘batch’ that hasn’t been reviewed yet or it has been reviewed and you have been rejected (just not notified yet) or your file falls into a grey area, which will be re-reviewed to fill the last few invites. In terms of geographical preference, when they are rushing to fill the spots last minute they will choose candidates from the GTA and surrounding….and no, this doesn’t mean if you are from the GTA and haven’t heard your file is cooked…if you haven’t heard there is really no way of telling where your application is in the process, but hopefully I have provided some insight, but I am just an applicant myself, so don’t take this as the truth, it’s more or less what I have heard and observed…as different as the process may be from other schools, they take longer to respond because they review your entire file, which is just fine in my opinion, so relax and be pessimistically optimistic, g’luck

I believe you are right about the MCAT. It is definitely not weighted in the 100 marks assigned from your application review. I think it is just a flag in the review process. if you make the cutoffs (all 9's) then they are never looked at again. but if you don't make the cutoffs, you have a flag in your file which i guess prob influences your final score.

Just to add to c-swirsk's comments - apparantly the 100 marks assigned from your application review gets converted into 80 points after your interview, and the interview is worth the other 20%.

Archived