Premed 101 Forums

Why not physiotherapy or nursing?

shehpar786

While I know why exactly I want to be a doctor, I don't quite know why I don't want to be a physiotherapist or a nurse. Not surprisingly, I got stuck on this question during my mock interview. I ended up saying that these two fields are not as intellectually challenging, but I know this is quite a vague answer. Any ideas about how to approach this?

Thanks for your help.

I am no expert in medicine, PT or nursing, but there are some major differences between those fields. They are all health related, yes. You have different skill sets, different responsibilities, different opportunities, and also different areas of expertise. Maybe you need to brainstorm some of those differences and see why you fit more with one than the other. It's all about knowing yourself, and where you could contribute best and enjoy the work.

I think it's a hard question, but keep in mind who your audience is. If you're being interviewed by a physician and medical student, they're already sold on the idea that medicine is a great career: you just need to show that you have an understanding of the differing responsibilities of the different professionals.

Everyoneloveschem has given you some great hints. I think you just need to look at different healthcare occupations like nursing or physio, and decide how they are different from being a doctor. The answer lies within the differences....

I figured it out the hard way, after working in healthcare as an OT, I know I want to be a doctor. My reasons may be different than the next person's reasons...so, I don't want to sway you...you'll get it.:)

I ended up saying that these two fields are not as intellectually challenging, but I know this is quite a vague answer. Any ideas about how to approach this?

Hi shehpar,

I would be careful with this. Nursing and physio are equally challenging in different ways. You don't want to stick your foot in your mouth during an interview.

Good luck,

ap

Archived