Premed 101 Forums

U of T Scoring post interview?

does anyone know any more details on how they score the 60% academics?

like 4.0 = 60%

3.9 = 55% , etc or something like that??

You won't be able to find how that works exactly, but 3rd years are at a disadvantage in the formula.

If a 4th year applicant received 55/60 for a 3.9, a 3rd year would receive a lower score for a 3.9 (maybe a 50/60).

You won't be able to find how that works exactly, but 3rd years are at a disadvantage in the formula.

If a 4th year applicant received 55/60 for a 3.9, a 3rd year would receive a lower score for a 3.9 (maybe a 50/60).

I heard that other factors such as academic awards and TA positions also add to the score, is that true?

I was under the impression that 3rd years are at a disadvantage because the weighting formula is not applicable. I didn't think there were specific deductions for 3rd years other than that.

I was under the impression that 3rd years are at a disadvantage because the weighting formula is not applicable. I didn't think there were specific deductions for 3rd years other than that.

I remember a post last year saying that being a fourth year give you "points" that count towards the 60%, and more points for masters/PhD's...

miss doc,

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-15974-1.html

Go down to "ABOUT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE ADMISSIONS TEST:", the answer to question 2:

2) How is the MCAT used in the application process?

The MCAT is not included in the overall academic calculation, but is used as a "flag." Less than minimum marks will jeopardize the success of the application. The MCAT must be written prior to the application deadline. Applications without MCAT scores will not be considered.

I remember a post last year saying that being a fourth year give you "points" that count towards the 60%, and more points for masters/PhD's...

Ya, I was informed that your total possible academic score depends on your year. So grad students can get a possible 60 (not sure if it differs for msc/phd) but a 3rd year can maybe only get a perfect score of 40. something like that.

miss doc,

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-15974-1.html

Go down to "ABOUT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE ADMISSIONS TEST:", the answer to question 2:

2) How is the MCAT used in the application process?

The MCAT is not included in the overall academic calculation, but is used as a "flag." Less than minimum marks will jeopardize the success of the application. The MCAT must be written prior to the application deadline. Applications without MCAT scores will not be considered.

I believe I also read somewhere on there, that the minimums are 9 in each category and an N for writing sample. You can still get in if you're below in any category, as long as the rest of your application makes up for it.

• 2 weeks later...

regarding 3rd year applicants -- if it's really true that 3rd years are disadvantaged by a lower GPA total %, is that % made up somewhere else (i.e. heavier weighting on essay, letters of references, etc.)? And is there no way at all to speculate with some accuracy how 'disadvantaged' they are?

regarding 3rd year applicants -- if it's really true that 3rd years are disadvantaged by a lower GPA total %, is that % made up somewhere else (i.e. heavier weighting on essay, letters of references, etc.)? And is there no way at all to speculate with some accuracy how 'disadvantaged' they are?

I asked a staff member of the admissions office regarding this. She said that students from junior years are not at a disadvantage at getting the full percentage. They are only at a disadvantage at not getting their marks dropped.

I asked the a staff member of the admissions office regarding this. She said that students from junior years are not at a disadvantage at getting the full percentage. They are only at a disadvantage at not getting their marks dropped.

Well, they might be disadvantaged at the interview stage too. A 3rd year student will generally have less experiences, be a little bit less mature, etc. Although that's something that would vary from individual to individual.

Regarding 3rd years being disadvantaged, you can all speculate all you want with either rumors or facts. The fact of the matter is, there are much less 3rd years in each entering class than probability/statistics dictates. Clearly, there are some disadvantages.

but is excalibre 'speculating', if he did indeed ask an admissions staff member? And yes, I understand that 3rd years would evidently be disadvantaged by having one less year of life experience, and a less flexible weighted score.

Why would I be speculating? Ask the office yourself, but I will repeat what I was told: It is possible for a 3rd year student to obtain full points in the portion of the 60% that relates to GPA. MCAT accounts for a smaller portion of that 60%, so I was told.

I'm quite sure that for all applicants, MCAT isn't even considered in any %, but is only used as a flag if the score is low.

And I wasn't saying that you were speculating; in fact, I was defending your statement.

My bad. I understand what you mean now. Though the website says that MCAT is used as a flag, the impression I got from the admissions lady (from the UofT open house) was that there is some sort of MCAT portion to the 60%.

P.S. The open house was surprisingly mostly high school students. I guess this is just a continuation of this ultra-competitive wave, more like tsunami, we are experiencing.

Archived