Premed 101 Forums

OOOP: change of status on Minerva

Atomic_Kitten85

McGill doesn't have a preference for those who did their undergrad's at mcgill. It could just be that they happened to be the strongest applicants that year.

Also, are you sure they were actual OOP'ers? The reason I'm asking is that ALOT of people in our class are not from quebec (therefore technically out of province) but somehow managed to get IP status (either they were born here or lived here for awhile or claimed themselves as a dependent of a quebec resident). In that case, a lot of them did do undergrads here at mcgill and decided to stay at mcgill, most likely due to the VERY low IP tuition (this year it was $6000 total, including all fees) and great quality of education.

Don't give up hope, the OOP waitlist does move and a good proportion of the OOP'ers in our class were accepted off the wailist

Thanks for your reply, miss_sunshine. I didnt think of this, but yes, I've heard a lot of people going through different ways of getting that IP status. I didnt know that, but it turns out that even if you own a property in QC, you can qualify as a QC resident....I remember this med student from McGill at Princeton review public presentation saying how he tried to get in several times, but as soon as he got married to someone from QC, he got in that year. Sounds like a good idea:) Just a little problem...where to find a good-looking, kind, generous, honest and educated guy from QC ???:D

Thanks for your reply, miss_sunshine. I didnt think of this, but yes, I've heard a lot of people going through different ways of getting that IP status. I didnt know that, but it turns out that even if you own a property in QC, you can qualify as a QC resident....I remember this med student from McGill at Princeton review public presentation saying how he tried to get in several times, but as soon as he got married to someone from QC, he got in that year. Sounds like a good idea:) Just a little problem...where to find a good-looking, kind, generous, honest and educated guy from QC ???:D

Hm, how about putting up an ad in the local newspaper starting with "A potentially wealthy future doctor looking for a Quebecois guy...":D

Sounds like a tall order Atomic_Kitten85...problem is there are only so many of us out there (jk jk). Odds are if you were able to get an interview at McGill as an OOP you will be getting into med school somewhere, and as miss_sunshine pointed out the OOP waitlist does move so you might not necessarily know you are in until the day school starts in Aug.

Although it does seem cruel you never know how many times the waitlist will move. I know that at Dalhousie their OOP waitlist has moved a fair bit on past occasions. For example they have about 10 OOP spots, and the list waitlist moved nearly 30-40 times for the last couple years. I believe that a similar situation also happened at McGill a few years ago where they had more spots added late in the application session and then they ended up exhausting their "realistic" waitlists and had to scramble to reinterview people to find enough students to fill the spots. Also it might seem crazy not to tell you your ranking on the list, but that is to save the admissions ppl from getting the crazy calls everyday from the same people who are 1-2 spots from getting in. Also imagine how you would feel if you were #21 on a list that moved 20 times. Once the Ontario schools release their decisions it is surprising how much the waitlists move at all schools, so again don't give up hope.

Archived