Premed 101 Forums

Ethics: Physician Assisted Suicide

While I appreciate that a person has the right to control the care they receive and should therefore have the right to control whether their life continues or not, I think the system would be way too open to abuse. Is this person who wants to end their life in a disturbed mental state - are they capable of making a sound decision to end their life? What about substitute decision makers with ulterior motives? If it became legalized, I would perform it, given that I was confident that it was for proper reasons. However, I understand the concerns that some people have of its execution. If it was legalized, I sure hope it would require very strict documentation and be under very strict regulation.

If you look up the laws in Oregon and other places where it is legal, you will see that there are very strict rules in place. The pt must make multiple requests (ie you can`t just show up one afternoon and make the request and leave with a lethal dose of meds) and be mentally capable to make the decision, among other things. The pt must also be able to VOLUNTARILY administer themselves the medications. The request must come from the pt and not a POA.

And while there was fear of abuse of the system, this hasn`t been the case.

People with terminal illnesses kill themselves whether it is legal or not. At least if it is legal, the pt has access to proper medical care, and can die more peacefully and with fewer complications (when people do it themselves, their death can be prolonged and painful etc... for example, if they don`t take the correct dosage of drugs etc..)

I had not seen the Oregon Death with Dignity act before. Part of the process for applying for a prescription for lethal meds is that you make multiple formal requests with a physician more than two weeks apart. As well, it is important that the physician has a lengthy discussion with the patient about other palliative care options. It's a step in the right direction, I think.

Archived