Premed 101 Forums

Travelling Worries

There are two major things that might make it hard for everyone to get to Kingston. They are the weather and the trains.

Weather

Many of you have probably heard about the winter storm that is heading toward Kingston at the moment. If you haven't, check out this article about the storm's effects on Ontario.

There is good news and bad news in this situation. The bad news is that it will bring about 20-30 cm of wet snow to the city, turning any travelling plans into more of a headache.

There are several pieces of good news, though:

1 - Interview weekend will not be cancelled and will continue as scheduled.

2 - The snow and rain should end by Friday at lunch so there should be enough time to clear the roads before many of you arrive in Kingston.

3 - The above-zero temperatures for the weekend should melt the snow quickly.

It's true that the weather is not cooperating with us, but we hope that it will not prevent anyone from making their interview.

Trains

Dorota says:

I was wondering if anyone is taking Via Rail into Kingston this weekend (like me!). If so, there is an announcement on the Via Rail site you might be interested in:

CN DERAILMENT DISRUPTS VIA SERVICE BETWEEN TORONTO AND OSHAWA

TORONTO – Due to a CN freight derailment at Pickering, Ontario, earlier today, VIA Rail Canada is transporting its passengers by motor coach between Toronto and Oshawa, in both directions, until the line is reopened to rail traffic. This affects all trains operating on the Montreal-Toronto and Ottawa-Toronto routes.

As a result of this disruption, VIA has also had to temporarily suspend new ticket sales on all trains on the affected routes.

VIA wishes to apologize for any inconvenience and for the expected delays this disruption may cause to its passengers. Customers wishing further information may call 1 888-VIA RAIL (842-7245).

VIA will issue an update as new information becomes available.

Both of these issues could negatively affect your travelling plans. Make sure you check the weather often and also confirm your train or plane tickets ahead of time. If you do encounter unforseen difficulties with your travels to Kingston, email Jennifer Saunders at the undergrad medical office to let her know ASAP. I can't make any promises, but hopefully there will be a way to accomodate those who are seriously affected by the storm.

Good luck to all of you with your travels. I hope to see you all this weekend!

Hanni

Do you also know how long it takes to hear back for the request to stay the night with a med student? I emailed a few days back and haven't heard yet. (my interview is the 24th).

I'm not sure about how long it takes to hear back about billeting. I know that for most years we have a lot more people requesting billeting than the spaces we have available. This means there is only a mediocre chance that you will be able to stay with someone here. But we may have more med students offering up their place for the second weekend, so you still have a chance of hearing back from us about billeting. If you are going to get an email about it, you would receive it within the next week or two.

My advice would be to wait for a few more days before making alternate arrngements. But if you can cancel a hotel reservation at no cost, then it never hurts to book a hotel room now and then cancel it if you hear from us about billeting.

Thanks for the info Hanni.

Do you also know how long it takes to hear back for the request to stay the night with a med student? I emailed a few days back and haven't heard yet. (my interview is the 24th).

Hey,

when I emailed Heidi a few weeks ago, she said she had run out of billet spots. I booked a room at Hotel Belvedere instead for the night of the 23rd - it's ridiculously close to campus.

But who knows? Maybe she has a spot for you ... but at this point, probably not.

Archived