Premed 101 Forums

Good website for ethical questions?

The best advice I can give for ethics questions is to get your hands on a copy of Herbert's "Doing Right." It's a relatively short read and covers everything that you'd need to know for your med interviews. I found it invalueable.

....but unfortunately you won't be able to read it online.

I agree, it's a great book.

I didn't take an ethics course, just read 'doing right' and i did fine. It gives you the basics you need to know to make an informed decision. It also tells you about current Canadian laws regarding each issue. What was really helpful were the scenarios and the possible outcomes. I haven't heard good things about ethics courses lol so I would suggest against taking one. You don't need to be an ethics expert for med interviews. You need to show that you can see issues from more than one point of view, take a stand, and justify your decision. Once you learn the basics, it's not that difficult to decide how you feel about the issue and why.

Hope this helps :)

would taking an undergrad course on ethics be a good move? I'm considering doing it, the ethics course focusses on health care ethics, abortion, euthanasia, human experiment and also genetic screening.

Would you get what you need by reading the 'doing right' book?

If you have an open slot for any subject you want, than I don't see it being a problem, but if you don't have an open slot for a subject and you want to take it because you think it will help you out, than it will be a bad move.

Taking an undergrad course in ethics will definitely teach you a lot about ethics but at the same time it could be a waist of time because you really don't need to know that much for an interview. You need to know the basics, something that you can learn from a few books or online articles, one of them being "Doing Right".

Hey,

I agree with Madz- I just read 'Doing Right' and didn't bother with an ethics course or anything along those lines and I found that I was extremely well prepared for any ethical scenarios that were thrown my way during medical school interviews (and beyond). It's a good book and it's all you really need, IMHO.

would taking an undergrad course on ethics be a good move? I'm considering doing it, the ethics course focusses on health care ethics, abortion, euthanasia, human experiment and also genetic screening.

Would you get what you need by reading the 'doing right' book?

I agree that it is not necessary to take an ethics course, but it is really interesting. I took biomedical ethics in undergrad (although it was a requisite course) and I thought it was great! I had to refresh myself by reading "doing right" for my interview but the course gave me a very complete fundamental understanding of bio ethics. I'd recommend it for interests sake.

Archived