Premed 101 Forums

US Schools: Calling the School after interview to check application status?

hi,

just wondering, does calling the school after the interview to check the application status affects chances of getting in? i thought interview was the last thing an applicant could do. after the interview, the committee has all the data they need to make their decision, right?

or would calling them regularly would bias their opinion in applicant's favour?

also, is the same true for Canadian Schools?

thanks,

any response is greatly appreciated,

Cartman.

Well, it's not really gonna "bias" them, but it shows your interest in the school....so if you take 2 people who are absolutely identical in terms of stats/interview scores, the fella who sent a letter saying smth like "Thank you for letting me attend an interview, I am anxiously waiting for a response" would win, because he showed interest in the school. Some people apply to a LOT of schools and so they don't care all that much about their "back-up" schools, and the lack of interest shows.

No - it is not true for Canadian schools. As it is, they (canadian) still get bombarded with phone calls I'm sure, don't contribute to their headaches by calling. I don't think your score includes how "interested" you are in the school - it's very formulaic I find.

Now for US schools - I think showing some interest through letters and phone calls wouldn't hurt, but don't overdo it. For some school's, I'm sure the letters and phone calls help, but for other school's, I don't believe it makes any difference.

for US schools - it is suggested to send a thank you card to your interviewers and send in any new transcripts/awards/accomplishments etc. that they can add to your file. i didn't do any of that and got acceptances at all schools i interviewed at 3-5 weeks after interviewing. so its not necessary but it doesn't hurt.

canadian schools - leave them alone. no thank you cards no nothing.

American schools re-evaluate your file more than once post-interview. At minimum they re-evalute you twice (right after interview and right after they set the waitlist aka after may 15th). At some schools you get re-evaluated numerous times in a cycle (thus apply early folks). this is true of course if you dont get rejected post-interview...

Canadian schools on the most part give you an interview score, and then let the computer do the rest. This can be good or bad, depending the way you look at it....(if you want to argue this create a NEW thread ;))

But the point is it does affect your chances..probably not by LOTS but it does. At UVM at the interview the admissions lady urged us to keep calling them to update them about stuff (especially after may 15th), she told us that it certainly makes a difference! But each individual school is different. But as far as I know, every US school will add an update or two in your portfolio even after your interview (this is because if you interview in Oct, things can change in May eg. new grades...even in a month things can change eg. nature publication, :P ). If you really want to get into a particular school, I would suggest/urge you to send a letter of interest (or even intent)...and once May 15th hits keep calling every week to get info about your status. I will tell you this, it wont certainly hurt (unless you are super rude on the phone).

No - it is not true for Canadian schools. As it is, they (canadian) still get bombarded with phone calls I'm sure, don't contribute to their headaches by calling. I don't think your score includes how "interested" you are in the school - it's very formulaic I find.

Now for US schools - I think showing some interest through letters and phone calls wouldn't hurt, but don't overdo it. For some school's, I'm sure the letters and phone calls help, but for other school's, I don't believe it makes any difference.

yes what xylem says is indeed true. Search SDN to see what previous years students did for that particular school :D

yes what xylem says is indeed true. Search SDN to see what previous years students did for that particular school :D

yea - the reason is essentially this: some US schools are like cdn schools where you are scored and then ranked...and the ranking is rigid. for them, it makes little difference if u call them a lot. but for school's that have unranked waitlists...i have no clue how they even decided who gets off of it...but i think here, calling and showing ur interest will help.

yea - the reason is essentially this: some US schools are like cdn schools where you are scored and then ranked...and the ranking is rigid. for them, it makes little difference if u call them a lot. but for school's that have unranked waitlists...i have no clue how they even decided who gets off of it...but i think here, calling and showing ur interest will help.

yes but suppose if you are tied with another student or grouped together. sending a LOI can put you over the top. Canadian schools dont give a hoot...a decimal point could decide your fate...hahaha

Archived