Premed 101 Forums

thoughts on the interview

so i just had my interview on sunday and i thought it went ok. I don't think i was able to communicate as much as i'ld like about who i am and my accomplishments but its hard to in an hour so i don't feel too bad. What was weird was how 'conversation-like' it was. Yes i know everyone says its like a conversation but i guess i really didn't fully understand nor believe this until i actually had the real thing (no matter how many mocks i had). Anyways, just wondering what ppl thought of their interview experience and i kind of noticed that this section's kind of dead.

On a side note, question for SunE: just wondering if you are the same guy who was a med1 volunteer (hat, a couple earrings, name is Sunny)

On a side note, question for SunE: just wondering if you are the same guy who was a med1 volunteer (hat, a couple earrings, name is Sunny)

That's definately the same Sunny

Ya...that's him.

Yes that is me...lol was I rude or something?

I thought it was alright. I liked how they asked questions that allowed me to showcase my on-the-spot style of thinking, which is something I enjoy doing. The interviewers were actually really pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in what I was saying, so it was kind of refreshing in that way. I really like UofM as a med school, and I think the national microbiology laboratory is just so damn cool...I wanna research there sometime (and they told me med students can easily get involved in that, which is really cool). Perhaps not working with ebola though... ;p overall, enjoyable experience. the med student lounge rocks!

I thought the interview experience was definitely alright. One of the interviewers (consider him sour faced) even cracked a joke as I was leaving about something I said earlier in the interview, which could be a good sign. Overall I think I've had job interviews that are more stressful.

My interviewers were all very warm and friendly. But they were different from the names I was given on the card. I was going to greet them by name, but when the chairperson who came out to get me was the wrong gender, I decided not to.

I have no idea how it went. The last question I was asked was really the only one I had any trouble with. I hope they don't focus on it too much... although I sure am!! :\

• 1 month later...

I was wondering what was the interview format.....was it MMI format for the OOP's?

also, what would you guys recommend for preparing for interviews? mock interviews>>>>> but who do you go to ..or what exactly do you do to practice....is there something like princeton review???

thanks in advance and good luck to all who tried this year

This year's interview format was 3 person panel. Check out the U of M Medicine admissions page. There is information still up about it. There probably will be continuous rumblings though about bringing in MMI.

The method I used was to review the autobiographical sketch multiple times, as well as a standard resume and a portfolio my high school made us start which I continued to build. By doing this I was essentially studying myself in terms of what I have done, what kind of person I have become, how I think and where my interests lie. A key thing I found in the interview is that by knowing who you are well allows you to confidentilly answer questions related not only to yourself, but to the other topics they may ask you about.

As for practice interviews, the med 1's apparently offer them around the beginning of March for a small fee. Check in with Career Services at your school too if you have one. My school's (U of Waterloo) Career Services offers one free mock interview per every year you are enrolled. For myself, I actually had a job interview with a bar earlier in the week so that broke the ice and calmed me for the real interview. I would probably suggest a mock interview if you have never done a lot of public speaking or interviews.

Prepare well for the questions that you know will be asked. Other than that, think/find random questions to get you thinking like ask yourself "who is better looking: your girl/boy friend or your next door neighbour". By doing this you have to think about both sides on the spot and be able to develop an organized and well developed answer.

Cheers

Damn am I ever rethinking my answers during my interview. I realize now that for some of the questions I was asked I did not present my thoughts on BOTH sides of the argument before choosing a side. Man this waiting game is killing me!

Present both sides of the argument.

Damn am I ever rethinking my answers during my interview. I realize now that for some of the questions I was asked I did not present my thoughts on BOTH sides of the argument before choosing a side. Man this waiting game is killing me!

I'm the opposite, I think i gave both sides of the argument too much, without really stating which side i'm for.

Are you sure you didn't pick a side? It seems to me quite difficult to explain both sides of an argument without some way telling the panelists your own beliefs.

I felt like i kept flip flopping becuase i didn't take time to think before talking, so it sounded unorganized, and didn't really have a final thought. But I also don't remember my answers clearly either . . . i think i'm screwed. Now all i can do is play the waiting game

I felt pretty good during my interview until one of my panelists squinched their eyebrows while I was answering a question. It made me wonder if he was not liking my answer, or had a tough time understand what I was saying...both of which are not good for me. The more I think about my interview, the more I am finding imperfections in my performance. This sucks!!

Don't worry guys - it'll all work out. I said some pretty controversial/aggressive things myself in the end, and in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have said it (I won't be talking about it here). Actually, I think I was doing quite well until that point.

There were a few questions that were a bit short - where the panelists were like "okay, that's fine. we'll move on" and that always gets me thinking something went wrong.

I also did not turn my head to face the other members often enough - I'd usually face the person who asked the question while I was answering...bad habit of mine, but when I'm nervous, my mind gets so narrow I can't think clearly sometimes...so I forget that there are two other members there and I have to look at them too...

Hum....

I myself was actually told to take a stand on those questions and defend my position, rather than flip-flopping.

The advice had come from a med student, so I do value his advice.

I guess it all depends on who you ask and what your panelists are like.

But then again, it's all done with! All this extra stress is just harming your body!

Archived