Premed 101 Forums

Examinations during Surgery residency

Hello everyone, Just like the thread started in the Primary Care residencies folder, I am curious to know what sorts of examinations are required for a gen surgical resident to complete prior to graduation. Any takers?

Hi there,

For one, all General Surgery residents must complete the Principles of Surgery exam (just as other surgery residents do) during or at the end of second year. In addition, all residents must complete the MCCQE part two in second year as well. Thereafter, the only other exam that is required (as far as I know) is the Royal College qualifying exam at residency's end.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I'm not sure about general surgery, but some surgical specialties have in-service exams that are taken each year which are standardized exams administered all over Canada (and the USA for some). I'm not sure what significance these carry, though.

If you're really motivated to find out, you can look at the program descriptions on the CaRMS website. Usually the write ups include something on examinations.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there is the CAGS exam (Canadian Association of General Surgeons) that is written yearly by residents in most programs. The exam is supposed to just be to judge your progress. You get your mark and your national rank and your percentile rank as well as means for each PGY year. Our program director expected us to be at or above the mean for our level of training; being above the mean was a requirement for any residents wanting permission to moonlight.

Other exams as previous mentioned are: MCCQE part 2 (LMCC2) - most people do this in the fall of their second year. POS (principles of surgery) - written in the spring of second year. Royal College (written and oral) taken at the end of fifth year. Many also choose to write their American Board of surgery exam at the end of their fifth year as well.

Archived