Premed 101 Forums

Odds of getting in...

Nima123

According to AFMC, the odds for Quebec students have been 69.2 and 76.3 in 2004 and 2005, i.e. about 70-75% of all applicants used to get in. Now, we were told today of the people who were interviewed, only about 50% were gonna get in, in other words, the odds for all Quebec applicants is only around 40%.

I noticed lots of students who were interviewing as Quebec residents were residents of other provinces and just born in Quebec. I'm not sure, but I think that's been the deal since last year, hence the striking change.

So Quebec students who used to have at least about 75-80% chance of getting in once interviewed, now only have a 50% chance!

I find that pretty scary, wish I was born a couple of years earlier!

According to AFMC, the odds for Quebec students have been 69.2 and 76.3 in 2004 and 2005, i.e. about 70-75% of all applicants used to get in. Now, we were told today of the people who were interviewed, only about 50% were gonna get in, in other words, the odds for all Quebec applicants is only around 40%.

I noticed lots of students who were interviewing as Quebec residents were residents of other provinces and just born in Quebec. I'm not sure, but I think that's been the deal since last year, hence the striking change.

So Quebec students who used to have at least about 75-80% chance of getting in once interviewed, now only have a 50% chance!

I find that pretty scary, wish I was born a couple of years earlier!

Try being an Ontario resident for a more enjoyable application experience.

Sorry, you won't get much sympathy from people in the rest of Canada. :)

I don't get what Nima is saying. Can someone explain it?

In my presentation I was also told that the chance of getting in is roughly 50%. I think that stat is for all applicants. After an interview, I think the chances are around 70%, to get an acceptance.

Also, if someone could confirm, were we told that only 140 people are being interviewed for the 72 spots?

Degoo,

The chance is still around 50-60% post-interview. Pre-interview they are a bit less (30-40%). It appears that your chance of getting accepted at McGill is similar to schools like U of T and Western. I think its just the pre-interview screening which is better at McGill than at other places.

Well, thanks for not sympathizing, but as somebody said, the chance of getting in post-interview is now no better at McGill than many Ontario schools.

It's a great advantage for people who can apply to two provinces as residents at the same time.

There's a lot of confusion going on here. The chance for an IP applicant applying to the 4 year MDCM program is around 50% post interview. The higher stats you were looking at combine the Med-P applicants so there are 74 + 80 spots for applicants from Quebec. Actually, the % accepted is generally higher than it was a few years ago because of a large increase in # spots.

I agree, it can seem unfair that there are all these people who have Quebec "residency" when really they are citizens of another province. It's frustrating that they can apply as IP to more than one province but it's a fact of life. There's nothing that can be done about it. People in other provinces have it WAY harder than quebec residents so you shouldn't complain. Like it was mentioned above, having a 50% acceptance rate is not the norm for medical school applications, even to schools in the US. The only other schools that have success rates so high are foreign medical schools.

If you apply to all 4 Quebec medical schools and your GPA is decent, the chance of getting accepted to at least one of them is really high. Applicants in the rest of Canada (and even the US) would love to be in your position.

Just to prevent further confusion, I'm not "complaining," just saying people used to have it much easier before and that the dual-residency thing is sort of unfair.

As for the data, the AFMC does NOT combine MED-P and MD, MCM, it has two different sections dedicated to each of them. The rate of success for MED-P applicants is 30-40%, which now also applies to undergrad applicants.

miss_sunshine,

Just to re-iterate what I said... I think Quebec students are advantaged mostly in getting the interview since the number of people applying vs. spots available is higher (or lower depending on what ratio you use). Whatever the case, post-interview, Quebec applicants face the same odds as people who get interviews in Ontario.

I was born and raised in Quebec, but did part of my high school and my undergrad in Toronto, before moving to Montreal. Which gives me dual residency as well. Ontario will forever consider me an Ontarian. Quebec also considers me a Quebec resident.

So, perhaps I agree it's not cool from a true IP's point of view to have all of those students from elsewhere apply as IP's just because they were born in Quebec, but it's not totally unfair either. And having applied to both provinces, I must agree the odds are much worse and the process much more lengthy, complicated and costly in Ontario. All in all, the odds in Quebec are pretty amazing. AND only one school requires the MCAT.

I heard from a medical student that if you study med as a Quebec student, regardless of where you do your residency, you must agree to work in Quebec for at least 2 years when your studies are over. I don't know if this is true, but I think Quebec is very very likely to work something like that up some time soon, which means if you get in as a Quebec applicant, you'll also end up working here at least for a while with the low pay, long working days etc.

So for some people having a dual residency (e.g. Ontario and Quebec) may sound like a lottery ticket, but they'll probably have to seriously make up for it at some point if they choose to come to Quebec.

I heard from a medical student that if you study med as a Quebec student, regardless of where you do your residency, you must agree to work in Quebec for at least 2 years when your studies are over. I don't know if this is true, but I think Quebec is very very likely to work something like that up some time soon, which means if you get in as a Quebec applicant, you'll also end up working here at least for a while with the low pay, long working days etc.

So for some people having a dual residency (e.g. Ontario and Quebec) may sound like a lottery ticket, but they'll probably have to seriously make up for it at some point if they choose to come to Quebec.

The first part is horse $hit, the second, the low pay I agree, and medicine is long hours for the most part everywhere.

noncestvrai

The first part is horse $hit, the second, the low pay I agree, and medicine is long hours for the most part everywhere.

noncestvrai

If you knew enough about the issues in Quebec health care, you'd figure Quebec has every reason to force doctors to stay here. As I said, I don't know if what I heard is correct, but it is very conceivable: the government doesn't pay for your medical education just because they think you're awesome, and they seriously need more doctors here.

There is nothing like that happening the near future. maybe you are referring to J1 visas? This is when you leave Quebec to do residency training in the US and then must come back to Quebec for 2 years afterwards. Also, if an international student at mcgill wants to stay here for residency, then theymust sign a form saying that they will work in an underserved area or something like that after residency. All Quebec University students have low tuition, it isn't unique to medicine. also, we are the highest taxed province and therefore this is helping foot the bill.

There is nothing like that happening the near future. maybe you are referring to J1 visas? This is when you leave Quebec to do residency training in the US and then must come back to Quebec for 2 years afterwards. Also, if an international student at mcgill wants to stay here for residency, then theymust sign a form saying that they will work in an underserved area or something like that after residency. All Quebec University students have low tuition, it isn't unique to medicine. also, we are the highest taxed province and therefore this is helping foot the bill.

Yup, you just confirmed what I had heard about the 2 years.

I'm just wondering: does this rule apply to OOP students as well? Funny how they never mention this kind of stuff at interview days:rolleyes:

I spoke to Michel about the acceptance rate for this year. He said that there are 142 interviews given out for the MDCM program, and there are 74 spots reserved for ROQs into the MDCM program. So with this, I don't understand how the acceptance rate is below 50%.

And of these 142 interviews to MDCM, some are given to INTLs and OOPs. So from my understanding (and I could be wrong), since there's like 6 OOP spots and about 9-12 INTL spots, this makes like at LEAST 15 interviews out of the 142. Unless the 142 interviews were only for ROQs.

anyway, if that's the case, in terms of competing for ROQ spots, if at least 15 interviews of the 142 were for INTLS and OOPs, this makes 127 interviews for ROQs competing for 74 ROQ spots. And that translates to a much higher acceptance rate: Almost 60%.

Of course if the 142 interviews were only for ROQs, then its back to 50%. Can anyone confirm this? I might be completely off... =)

LAter, good luck to all interviewees!

Archived