Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoff

HabsMan

Hi,

I'm from the SWOMEN area and I'm going to be interviewing at Western but I'm fairly certain they are going to ask me why I only have a 9 in verbal and an O on my essay. I didn't finish the verbal section in time but I don't think its proper to list off a bunch of excuses as to why I didn't do well. Any good ideas as how to respond to this question??????? I'm hoping it won't come up but if it does I'm somewhat stuck for words. I was thinking I would say yes I didn't do as well as I would have liked, and go on to list examples of how I have had to use effective verbal skills in other areas of my life????? Anyways enough chatter for now....

Eric

It's a closed file interview so they shouldn't be asking you about your verbal score. If it comes up for some reason, I think make sure that you mention what you've learned from going through the experience and point out other areas that you're strong in. But, I'm pretty sure it won't come up unless you mention it. So shhhhhhhhh :D

Be happy if they ask you about your score as it gives you a chance to explain it. I wasn't asked about my MCAT scores (which were lousy), and I wish I was given the chance to explain it. I would have told them that I studied too much for physics (since the last physics course I received was in 1995). I managed to pull an 11 for physics, but my verbal sucked (probably because I didn't give it the attention it deserved). Sure, you don't want to list excuses for a poor score, but if you don't give a reason... the admission committee may think of a reason for you...

I third that, the interview is closed file. :)

Fourth.

It's a closed-file interview. This gives you a lot of lee-way in directing the interview. If you don't bring it up (and why would you? There are a lot of interesting things about you as a person to talk about during the 45 minutes!) then the interview panel will never know.

pb

Archived