Premed 101 Forums

Rumour Time - getting kicked out of med school?

Just to expand on something Mitch mentioned in the intital account: these things clearly happened many moons ago. Political correctness was probably in an "infancy" of sorts and may actually have been two separate words never yet strung together. Coming from a Dept of Anatomy: there are pictures in SEVERAL Anat depts in Canada showing old med school classes posing with body parts, bits and bobs, looking poncey and goofy with cadavers and skeletons. That sort of thing is not only frowned upon now, but outright illegal in some situations. Point being - no sense in getting sensitive to an issue that has long since "self-recitified"; this seems very much like the pranks of old (some of which are funny, to boot) and would almost certainly result in expulsion today, and not an indicatoar (at least not likely an ACCURATE one) of the current Cdn med school climate.

Not to defend the actions of the people involved, but don't forget, you have none of the context of the situations, other than the minute amount of detail I have provided! Just to add fuel to a potential fire, some updates:

-the Muslim fellow for whom the stripper was arranged has long since married her...they have four children, and to the best of my recent knowledge, are very happy. I am godmother to one of their children.

-one of the complainants in the incident involving the addition of the inappropriate question to the quiz (a female), has since been disciplined by the Royal College for sexual advances and one "inappropriate" relationship with patients.

Anyhow, my intent is not to start a debate about political correctness, professionalism, (or lack thereof), or any other messiness in health care and health care professionals. There's enough of that out there as it is. It was simply to share a story regarding students who did not get kicked out of meds despite their juvenile behaviour. I'm sorry to have offended you; I hope meds is good to you in that regard.

Wait, the guy married the stripper or the guy married the person who arranged the stripper?

LOL!!! You're right, Lost in Time, that wasn't very clear! He married the stripper!

The comment about it being many moons ago is true, too. Of course the atmosphere has changed. However, having worked in health care for many moons myself, what I think most of you who end up in medicine may find, is that black humor, certainly political incorrectness, and other such unprofessional behaviour is very commonly used to help reduce the stress of the situations you find yourself in. It's a pretty natural human response...

Wow, I'm sorry, but this is incredibly tacky and offensive, esp. #1. I'm glad people had the balls to report this. As a female, I would feel VERY uncomfortable if I found out this type of sexism was condoned, let alone practiced, by my fellow students. Just shows you that even in the most carefully selected group of people you can still encounter discrimination and ignorance disguised as a "joke."

You might be surprised. It's not as "white coat and tie" proper as you may be thinking.

I'm sorry to have offended you

No worries, you just told the stories, you didn't perform the actual actions, hehe.

I guess I would just hate to have my mother or grandmother donate their body to science and be mocked and humiliated post-humously by some immature moron.

Archived