Premed 101 Forums

Rumour Time - getting kicked out of med school?

• 1 month later...

I've very interested in hearing more about this. I wish students would educate each other on this type of stuff. I have heard about students getting kicked out of medical school for various reasons, one of them for insulting professors, and "professionalism". "Professional conduct" is very hard to define and I think it'll be important to know about this before hand. I have heard of a person getting framed for sexual harassment and others.

We should all know about this before we get into medical school.

Someone got kicked out of my class at the end of 2nd year. He had already been held back at least one year and had a number of professionalism knocks against him as well as consistently poor marks.

I know of a MD/PhD, I was a summer student at the time, after second year of my BSc, who (the medstudent) was pretty weird to say the least. During that summer, I got to my lab one morning, I see that the lab nextdoor, where the dude was doing research (at really odd hours), had a forced door, missing computers, blood around...havoc I tell you.

Anyhow, no real proof of a culprit...

The same dude, a year or two after published without consent of his supervisor, he got the boot...so I heard.

The story I know, I know of a few drop outs though...

noncestvrai

as for the "professionalism" question - since it is vague, more schools are adopting a "code of professional conduct" that defines it, and explicitly outlaws certain behaviours.

(Probably because past students who were dismissed contended that professionalism was subjective)

If you're concerned about getting kicked out of med school, i'd bring it up with a student advisor or a professional. Confidentiality is assured (usually) and you can get some advice.

ok....this is quite some time ago, but here's a story:

someone I know very well (ok, I'm married to him!) was in UBC meds awhile back...anyhow, he and some of his buddies (many of whom now happen to be very well-known and respected in their specialties) did a couple things that got them hauled in before the dean and *almost* kicked out, including:

1. hiring a stripper to "teach an extra session on the physical exam", targeting a fellow student who happened to be Muslim who was a new Canadian

2. setting off a stink bomb in the air ducts of (former) Lecture Hall B, resulting in a mass evacuation on campus due to fears of a massive gas leak

3. stealing an anatomy quiz and adding a question onto it....requiring students to locate the G spot on a female cadaver

4. paging a director of surgery, while he was in the OR, to the "bad boys line".

There are more, but I'm afraid I'll identify too much!!

Anyhow, formal complaints were filed in all the above cases...all of the students in question almost got walking papers.

So, here's some fuel for your blog!! :D

ok....this is quite some time ago, but here's a story:

someone I know very well (ok, I'm married to him!) was in UBC meds awhile back...anyhow, he and some of his buddies (many of whom now happen to be very well-known and respected in their specialties) did a couple things that got them hauled in before the dean and *almost* kicked out, including:

1. hiring a stripper to "teach an extra session on the physical exam", targeting a fellow student who happened to be Muslim who was a new Canadian

2. setting off a stink bomb in the air ducts of (former) Lecture Hall B, resulting in a mass evacuation on campus due to fears of a massive gas leak

3. stealing an anatomy quiz and adding a question onto it....requiring students to locate the G spot on a female cadaver

4. paging a director of surgery, while he was in the OR, to the "bad boys line".

There are more, but I'm afraid I'll identify too much!!

Anyhow, formal complaints were filed in all the above cases...all of the students in question almost got walking papers.

So, here's some fuel for your blog!! :D

brilliant! :D

Wow, I'm sorry, but this is incredibly tacky and offensive, esp. #1. I'm glad people had the balls to report this. As a female, I would feel VERY uncomfortable if I found out this type of sexism was condoned, let alone practiced, by my fellow students. Just shows you that even in the most carefully selected group of people you can still encounter discrimination and ignorance disguised as a "joke."

Not to defend the actions of the people involved, but don't forget, you have none of the context of the situations, other than the minute amount of detail I have provided! Just to add fuel to a potential fire, some updates:

-the Muslim fellow for whom the stripper was arranged has long since married her...they have four children, and to the best of my recent knowledge, are very happy. I am godmother to one of their children.

-one of the complainants in the incident involving the addition of the inappropriate question to the quiz (a female), has since been disciplined by the Royal College for sexual advances and one "inappropriate" relationship with patients.

Anyhow, my intent is not to start a debate about political correctness, professionalism, (or lack thereof), or any other messiness in health care and health care professionals. There's enough of that out there as it is. It was simply to share a story regarding students who did not get kicked out of meds despite their juvenile behaviour. I'm sorry to have offended you; I hope meds is good to you in that regard.

Archived