Premed 101 Forums

Bursary - jeopardize chances?

I am interviewing this year, does applying for the bursary in any way jeopardize my chances of getting into medical school? Applying for financial aid at some U.S. medical schools is not looked upon favorably, even though the official stance denies any bias.

This is what it said in the email I received:

"Candidates must complete an admission bursary application form, which

is available online through the Office of the Registrar web site

(https://studentservices.uwo.ca/secure/AdmissionBursaries/), by April

14, 2007."

I took this to mean that everyone has to submit a bursary application. What I am curious about is that why are they requiring everybody to apply for a bursary and why is the deadline 1 month before offers are given out? This makes me think that perhaps our income may affect our chances of getting in?

I hope that income doesn't affect our chances of getting in, cuz if it did, i'd be screwed.

I think the more likely reason for getting every1 to fill out the application is so that when they send out offers, they can give u an idea of how much financial support u can expect to get from the school b4 u accept their offer. At least i hope this is more likely

This is what it said in the email I received:

"Candidates must complete an admission bursary application form, which

is available online through the Office of the Registrar web site

(https://studentservices.uwo.ca/secure/AdmissionBursaries/), by April

14, 2007."

I took this to mean that everyone has to submit a bursary application. What I am curious about is that why are they requiring everybody to apply for a bursary and why is the deadline 1 month before offers are given out? This makes me think that perhaps our income may have an affect on our chances of getting in?

i have a feeling there would be a lot more legal arguments if western was making decisions based on applicants financial status...

As long as your credit is ok, you can walk into most major banks, show them the med school acceptance letter, and ask for a loan for your tuition.

when i go to that site and log in it says i am not eligible .... does anyone else get this? has anyone been able to apply yet?

It also says that I am not eligible. I have tried to log on numerous times and received the same message.

I think it is for the Schulich scholarships which are offered at the time of admissions (ie. in your admissions letter, it'll tell you if you get the scholarship). However, if someone in Western could clarify, that would be great. Anyways, almost everyone has financial need since medical school is very expensive!

I highly doubt that income plays any factor in the admissions process.

Short answer: no

Long answer: Wow, I thought the psych patient I interviewed this morning was paranoid!

Look, here's the deal. Mr. Schulich donated a boatload ($20,000/yr x 15 ppl x 4 years x 3+ years and counting = $boatload) of money to UWO to be directed specifically towards student scholarships. One of the strings attached to his gift was that the school has to go out and fundraise an additional $boatload from other donors to be directed toward student scholarships. There's also a substantial pre-existing pool of money for medical student bursaries, scholarships etc which didn't evaporate when Mr. Schulich turned his money-hose toward UWO. Put it all together, and there's a decent amount of cash floating around for student aid. It's not a free ride for everybody, and quite honestly I think that the financial burden of medical school at UWO (and elsewhere) is still too high, but help is there.

Medical school is expensive. The powers-that-be at UWO realize this and are doing what they can to help the students. Geez, even before you're accepted the school is going out of its way to try and smooth the financial path. Collecting this info now means the school could possibly also give you an extra letter when they send you an acceptance package -- a letter with a large dollar figure in it.

If you don't want or need the money that's cool. Nobody's forcing you to apply for anything, and nobody's forcing you to accept any bursaries or scholarships. Heck, nobody's forcing you to apply to med school.

If you don't need or want the money, the right thing to do is not to apply. But don't think for a minute that somehow the school is conspiring against you because of your high or low socio-economic status.

Look, I've been there. Waiting for interviews to arrive, and then waiting to hear back from the schools really really sucks. You start obsessing about all sorts of little things. I'd be a hypocrite if I told you not to obsess about the whole process.

Just don't get fixated on this one aspect of it.

pb

PS I didn't say "if", but "when" you get an acceptance package. Getting an interview means you've already jumped a huge hurdle. Hundreds of people would kill to be in the position you're in now. The school wouldn't waste their time interviewing you if you weren't a viable candidate. Now strut your stuff over the next couple of weekends!

PPS: Full disclosure - Seymour Schulich is paying for my medical education.

My memory is pretty bad, but I seem to recall that the "eligibility" problem is related to a communication problem between OMSAS and the UWO Registrar's Office. Just a guess and an application of Hanlon's Razor.

Much as I hate to make work for the people in admissions and student affairs ('cuz I owe them more favours than they owe me), I suggest you contact them. They can likely sort things out for you.

Rest assured that it's not evidence of a conspiracy against you.

The conspiracy comes later.

Kidding!

pb

No really, I'm kidding!

pb, are you coming out for any of the social nights post interviews? It'd be good to put a face to the name thats been tossing out all this good info on these boards and the old ezboards.

Hey,

Not sure yet. I'd kinda like to meet some of the candidates socially, but before vacation Darla mentioned that she might need a few extra student interviewers to fill out the panels, and she asked me if I'd be interested (which I definitely would be!) I haven't spoken to her in a couple of days, so I'm still not sure if I'll have to avoid you guys or not.

Besides, my face really isn't much to look at. :eek:

Good luck! The 2010s (and whatever 2009s are floating around to act as guides and billets etc) will tell you this until you're sick of hearing it, but the most important thing to remember about the UWO interview is this: Be yourself.

pb

Archived