Premed 101 Forums

Racial discrimination in interviews...?

I think no matter where you go, there will always be those people who do discriminate based on race. That said, I agree with clkt in that there are probably less in the science/md field.

I do find it kind of hypocritical that you are concerned with discrimination, as you are advertising the social class you were born into, and seem to be endorsing the Hindu caste system. The same caste system that treats certain individuals literally as untouchables and is still rampant in parts of India.

Hehe, I know you didn't make your name with those intentions, but think about it the next time you want to show you 'jatt pride.' ;)

For more info:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/06/0602_030602_untouchables.html

I think no matter where you go, there will always be those people who do discriminate based on race. That said, I agree with clkt in that there are probably less in the science/md field.

I do find it kind of hypocritical that you are concerned with discrimination, as you are advertising the social class you were born into, and seem to be endorsing the Hindu caste system. The same caste system that treats certain individuals literally as untouchables and is still rampant in parts of India.

Hehe, I know you didn't make your name with those intentions, but think about it the next time you want to show you 'jatt pride.' ;)

For more info:

with 'jatt' in his name he's most probably sikh, not hindu.

trivial i know, just thought i'd mention it.

For more info:

Well, first of all I am a sikh and secondly, the caste system is barely present in India anymore and moreover this was a generalized question, not only concerning the brown race.

I think what lecture3waves was alluding to was the fact that the caste system is part of the Hindu religion. The Sikh religion, on the otherhand, disagrees with the caste system and promotes equality.

Calling yourself a Jatt, a classification based on caste, your going against the basic tenets of Sikhism.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I thought I would shed some light on this issue.

I think what lecture3waves was alluding to was the fact that the caste system is part of the Hindu religion. The Sikh religion, on the otherhand, disagrees with the caste system and promotes equality.

Calling yourself a Jatt, a classification based on caste, your going against the basic tenets of Sikhism.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I thought I would shed some light on this issue.

Well, I guess just by having 'Jatt' in my name has got nothing to do with me going against the basic tenets of Sikhism because it's just a person's username, and in no way discriminates it from the rest of the castes.

And I guess, it's better to end this thread, because it's going off the topic and heading nowhere, rather is a potential verbal fight.

No way, I have a $10 bet that it's gonna get to page 3 by midnight!!!!!

well then let me do my part.. need to do something to keep busy until may 15th :)

All I was saying is that calling yourself jatt promotes this system of inequality, even if that's not what you mean to do. And that's discrimination just like racism.

Also, the caste system is still a BIG problem in India. Read the link I provided in my original post.

To put it so that everyone can understand (ie those without any background knowledge on india), let's say that people are assigned number from 1-4 according to the family they're born into, and there's no way they can change their number. Furthermore, the way people (mis)treat you and your future profession, income, and social life are all decided by this number.

Now you may call yourself 2 or 3 without any bad intentions. However, by merely continuing to use this number system you are supporting the practice of segregation and allowing it to continue.

well then let me do my part.. need to do something to keep busy until may 15th :)

All I was saying is that calling yourself jatt promotes this system of inequality, even if that's not what you mean to do. And that's discrimination just like racism.

Also, the caste system is still a BIG problem in India. Read the link I provided in my original post.

To put it so that everyone can understand (ie those without any background knowledge on india), let's say that people are assigned number from 1-4 according to the family they're born into, and there's no way they can change their number. Furthermore, the way people (mis)treat you and your future profession, income, and social life are all decided by this number.

Now you may call yourself 2 or 3 without any bad intentions. However, by merely continuing to use this number system you are supporting the practice of segregation and allowing it to continue.

So, shall I change my username now:o, if that is the case?

Archived