Premed 101 Forums

MCAT impact on med schools

Alastriss

A question about the MCAT and med schools

How big of a deal is it if you do really well? Can it compensate for a low GPA at some canadian schools? I know for the united states the MCAT is significantly more important because GPAs can vary across schools but the MCAT is standardized.

but for schools like UT where they use it as a flag..does that mean that if u have a good MCAT score all that it means is that u WON'T be looked down on? or can a high mcat score compensate for a low GPA at such schools?

Alastriss

The MCAT is only marginally helpful in Canada. It can open a few doors...but it won't get you through it.

In my opinion, there is no difference between someone who achieves a 30 or a 40. But in the states, I hear that can make a very big difference indeed.

Ya...that's true. It can probably increase your chances of securing an interview...but it won't get you into med.

in canada the mcat is really a flag to see who will get an interview and who won't, but if your gpa is on the low side then you have a lower chance overall...they're using the two scores to select from all the applicats (and this year it was a phenomenal number):eek:

like what Kenneth said....

for ontario (and prety much CAN at large) 11,11,11,Q a 33Q (being generous here) is just as good as 14,14,14,T a 42T. we all know its way harder to collect a 42T, but thats another story.

for uofT, UWO and Queens thats past cutoff, so its good. and thats about all you need.

Just to further contribute to this since I would've appreciated having this knowledge while I was studying for the MCATs (way too much stress about having to do well)

Getting 30+/Q is really all you need in Canada. Assuming your GPA is competitive, it'll get you through the door at the two cut-off schools (Queen's and UWO).

As someone pointed out, UofT only uses the MCAT as a "flag", and from what everyone is saying, you'll have to score really low on a given section to actually raise a flag.

Ditto for UofO/Mac which don't even consider the test.

Out of province (for me), the game changes a bit. I know some west coast schools (UManitoba / UofC?) where the MCAT *can* make a big difference because they have weighting formulas for deciding who secures an interview / gets an offer of admission. In those cases, the higher the better and the benefit here is the formulas allow you to balance out a mediocre GPA. Nevertheless though, most applicants end up maxing out the GPA/MCAT slice of the formula so it ends up coming down to the interview/essay/sketch anyways.

For places like McGill, I'm sure a high MCAT would help (pretty sure that's how I landed an interview there). But it won't do much afterwards I think.

Good luck and don't stress :)

Depends on the school...

Manitoba is 10% GPA 50% mcat 40% PAS. As long as you apply with the bare minimum of the required GPA and MCAT (and you are IP) you get an interview.

With this system a high MCAT or a kick ass PAS can easily make up for a high GPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Like a few others have said, most schools use the MCAT as a cutoff tool. If you don't meet their cutoffs you don't get an interview. But if you score a 45Z it doesn't really put you at an advantage (at most schools - some exceptions).

Good luck!

Depends on the school...

Manitoba is 10% GPA 50% mcat 40% PAS. As long as you apply with the bare minimum of the required GPA and MCAT (and you are IP) you get an interview.

With this system a high MCAT or a kick ass PAS can easily make up for a high GPA.

What does PAS stand for?

LOL... This reminds me of my family (in Calgary) insisting that I live in "Eastern Canada" now that I'm in SK!:P :p

umm...there are just 6 med schools in Canada , right? just 6? or is it just 6 in ontario? what's UofC\manitoba that you mentioned? [the post above you]

umm...there are just 6 med schools in Canada , right? just 6? or is it just 6 in ontario? what's UofC\manitoba that you mentioned? [the post above you]

o i think i'm wrong..sorry i'm a newbie..just read some of the other threads, but would still like to confirm

o i think i'm wrong..sorry i'm a newbie..just read some of the other threads, but would still like to confirm

That's okay, don't need to say sorry.

There are 17 med schools in Canada.

If you look at each forum on p101, each one belongs to a different medical school.

the importance of the mcat depends on which province you are from. If you have ontario residency, a high mcat doesn't mean that much. As was stated above, as long as it's above cutoffs, it doesn't matter if you have a 42 or a 33. Applying to another province is a different issue, here the MCAT can matter much more.

If you are from a province that favors it's own residents (Quebec and BC, amonst a few others), then MCAT matters even less or not at all (some Quebec med schools)

Judging from the profiles of people who got into McGill this year, the MCAT seems to be quite a big deal here. I had a good GPA and a 31R MCAT, decent letter, extracurriculars and interview, but was waitlisted as in-province. Now I'm taking the MCAT, because it was the only visible mediocrity in my profile.

Archived