Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Everything about doing research as an undergrad

blinknoodle

say your name is on a poster that has been presented at a conference, is that something to include in your application? if so how would one go about doing that?

what about thesis papers written for honors projects? I know these aren't publications but should they be included somewhere in you application?

say your name is on a poster that has been presented at a conference, is that something to include in your application? if so how would one go about doing that?

what about thesis papers written for honors projects? I know these aren't publications but should they be included somewhere in you application?

good question +1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I was just wondering for research....does your research have to be specifically medically/biologically related in order for med schools to place importance on it or RESEARCH IS RESEARCH and as long as you do it it doesnt matter. Lets say if you are doing a research on environmental science and ways to reduce water pollution...is that fine or it has to be medically related....Also I have heard that if you do an undergrad degree that is not biology, life sci, or med school related, universities tend to like it more because they want diverse people....just wondering if that is true...thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I was just wondering for research....does your research have to be specifically medically/biologically related in order for med schools to place importance on it or RESEARCH IS RESEARCH and as long as you do it it doesnt matter. Lets say if you are doing a research on environmental science and ways to reduce water pollution...is that fine or it has to be medically related....Also I have heard that if you do an undergrad degree that is not biology, life sci, or med school related, universities tend to like it more because they want diverse people....just wondering if that is true...thanks a lot.

You should research on everything. Makes sense, if you are going to spend that much time on it.

from what i understand about the admissions process, nobody really cares anymore what your degree is in, or what specifically you decide to do outside the classroom. what really matters (or should, if it doesn't) is who your experiences have made you, and it's up to you to decide how to tell them about it.

retrospectively, the most sincere advice i got was to do what you like. it will be the most valuable that way and also a hell of a lot easier on you.

COLES NOTES (cauterizers will get this)

-doesn't matter what your degree is in

-doesn't matter what you do research on

-doesn't matter whether you do research or not

-know what you're doing and why you're doing it (hint - do you really know what you hope to gain from research experience? figure that out first)

-be able to talk about it openly, freely, honestly, sincerely.. and concisely

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about research opportunities available to Canadian undergraduates in the States? I'm already going to be doing research this summer, but I just wanted to see if there are any opportunities available there as well.

• 1 month later...

Depending on the school and the department, you could start your first semester. Just go talk to professors and tell them you're interested in research, and ask if there's anything you could do as a volunteer in their lab. If they don't have anything for you to do, ask them if any of their colleagues or grad students might have something.

Before I begin looking too cloesly through the SFU research interest database, I have an unusual question.

I'm in my first semester of undergrad, and as such don't know left from right when it comes to research. If I were to start looking around for a volunteer lab position, I'd expect to do menial tasks in a setting that would allow me to learn and perhaps move up as my education progressed.

My problem is that in September I will be doing at least 1 semester at Emily Carr, the fine arts university in downtown Vancouver. Would it be frowned upon or pointless to try to find a volunteer research position after only 1 semester of undergrad, while attending an unrelated university?

Would it be frowned upon or pointless to try to find a volunteer research position after only 1 semester of undergrad, while attending an unrelated university?

Not necessarily. Just explain the situation. The worst thing that can happen is that the prof will say no, or will want you to wait until you're attending SFU. If they do want you to wait, then at least you'll have already met them, so they'll know who you are and remember later that you showed an interest in their research right from the beginning.

Archived